PDA

View Full Version : Reed Bed with Composting Toilet??

PricklyPalletRanch
08-24-2013, 04:20 PM
So I live in New Mexico and we are doing a composting toilet which is fine, but to build we need to get a liquid waste permit. Upon talking with them it turns out that Black water which is normally water from the toilet also includes kitchen sink water and possibly shower water. Because we are doing a composting toilet that doesn't use water we had thought we didn't need a septic tank, but because they say kitchen sink water and shower water is black water they say we do, or at least something like a septic tank. I have been doing a lot of reading and one of the things we plan on doing is an aquaponics green house. I have been reading also on Reed bed systems. So with all that in mind, here is the plan I came up with and was wondering if anyone has tried this, rather then a septic tank.
We are doing a composting toilet so no human waste will be in our water to start, so it's just the kitchen sink water and shower water which we would like to have going to the reed bed system which in turn feeds into the fish tank for the aquaponics system.

JCO
08-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Take a look here:

Black and Greywater use in Aquaponics System. (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1684-Black-and-Greywater-use-in-Aquaponics-System)

Grey water to reed bed to AP (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?668-Grey-water-to-reed-bed-to-AP)

Earthship aquaponics plan (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1430-Earthship-aquaponics-plan)

Hope these will answer your questions.

Don't forget when you build it, we like photos...lots of photos and the "how did you do it" also :mrgreen:

PricklyPalletRanch
08-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the links, I didn't know duckweed was a water cleaner plant. It's also good for ducks and chickens feed, nice green for them. So if I have a composting toilet and the reed bed which I was thinking about using bamboo (not sure if it's the right type of reed, will have to look up more on that) water would flow through the reed bed into a holding pond where Duckweed would be growing, then into the Fish tank for the aquaponics and from there into the grow beds. Might be even a little better, because the reed bed should clean the water but having that second holding tank with duckweed should give the design that little extra boost of clean, so the state liquid waste department should approve it and I don't have to go and buy a 1000 gallon septic tank that isn't needed for two people.

JCO
08-25-2013, 01:01 PM
I have been to NM and the winters there can be pretty cool. Duck weed likes warm (very warm) temperatures and dies off in low temperatures. Therefore you may have to come up with a plant that will also grow in cold weather either above the water's surface or below. Subsurface aquatic plants also help clean water. Check for local aquatic plants that survive the winter temps. :mrgreen:

PricklyPalletRanch
08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
I should have mentioned that the filter system and the aquaponics system are going to be in an enclosed green house building. So in theory I should be able to regulate the temperature in the building. That is just in theory. I am still very new at all of this. In truth I was told by the Liquid Waste department to think outside the box in regards to the septic tank. They know we are using a composting toilet, but because they consider kitchen sink water and shower water as black water, they say we need a septic tank, the smallest they make is 1000 gallons, and a drain trench of 300 sq. ft. I am really trying to some up with a way to filter the 'black water' get the 300 sq. ft. of drainage they desire and still be able to use that water after. Hence the reed bed, aquaponics system in an enclosed building.

PricklyPalletRanch
09-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Looks like either way I go about it I have to put in a septic... Makes no sense. Oh well.

JCO
09-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If I were you, I'd have the state people show me where it's written in the law about shower and kitchen water being black water instead of grey and requiring a septic. :mrgreen:

Apollo
09-08-2013, 12:49 PM
As far as RV's, Toy haulers and Campers goes the only water that is black water is your toilet. Kitchen and showers are gray water. Has been that way as far back as I can remember.

Apollo

I made a mental note of this sign when I was attempting to get the Bell Siphon to work!
I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

JCO
09-08-2013, 01:07 PM
As far as RV's, Toy haulers and Campers goes the only water that is black water is your toilet. Kitchen and showers are gray water. Has been that way as far back as I can remember.

That may be true in AZ. but this member lives in New Mexico. Each state can and sometimes does have different laws so the question is, what exactly are the laws in NM. :mrgreen:

PricklyPalletRanch
09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I have a copy of the law, it does state that kitchen water is waste water (black water) but it doesn't state Shower water is black water. Doesn't matter one way or the other we still have to put in a septic tank. To do it with the set up I wanted I would have to get a different permit and they would have to come out and test it, I would have to pay for that and they get to decide how often it would be tested and for how long. I don't have that kind of money. So septic is the way I have to go. It's a shame to because I am sure my setup would have work great, and it's better then a 1000 gallon septic system.

JCO
09-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Sorry to hear that. You win some, you loose some, and sometimes you get rained out. :mrgreen:

multifasited
09-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Bless the current EPA ,OSHA ,The global warmers .and the Obama administration ,with out which ,OMG {just ask the news media }.KITCHEN SINK WASTE ,would not be a factor ,except for the grease and other crap people put down them ,ask any ,honey dipper driver why they have to pump septic tanks and what screws them up ,and kills all the good bacteria ,causing the plugs ,clogs and failures .That is the same problem you will be faceing ,trying to recycle ,your suggested way .That is what constitutes black water ,it's no longer just soap dirt and water ,grease ,lye ,drain cleaners ,garbage disposals ,when used also add to the mix. now you have solids to remove .Ask any health official the kitchen sink is one of the nastiest ,germ ridden ,toxic things in the average house. Like everything else in the modern world ,every thing has changed ,and in many ways these governing agencies have gone overboard ,TO PROTECT AND SAVE EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING.I am afraid you are fighting a loosing battle ,in your current location ,be cheaper easier to get some fish .IMHO