PDA

View Full Version : Automation controled aquaponic systems

sebarker75
08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Just had a question about automation. Does anybody know where you can piece together a system instead of buying the one on line.(Kijani Grows Smart Aquaponics kit.) I think that system is going for about 5 or 600 for the kit. Just wondering if there was a way to do it for ourselfs. I would like to know the flow , ph, temp, simple things..

sebarker75
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
I think it was a Smart Aquaponics Arduino Shield board they were using. I dont know which board they were using

JCO
08-22-2013, 11:32 PM
I don't know which board they were using

I must have missed it...I didn't see a board or a computer being used, but then I've been up for 17 hours. In answer to your other question about a DIY system, Google for it...that's the only advice I have. :mrgreen:

sebarker75
08-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Thanks Again. Get some rest lol

dead_sled
08-23-2013, 09:16 AM
How much work and programming do you want to put into it?

There are ways to diy it. Can you or are you will to learn to program an arduino? They are the most cost effective. Are you willing to do some electrical and electronic tasks?

I believe all that you want can be diy'd. The flow may not be measuring flow rate, but you should be able to get flow confirmation. There also ways to have the system alert you of alarm conditions via text message, email, etc.

Roger L.
08-23-2013, 09:27 AM
eBay sells digital flow meters for water.

Aloha Don
08-23-2013, 10:10 AM
This topic is very interesting to me...
The more I think about starting a business the more I want to automate as much as possible.
I think my business slogan will follow the LMI model.... :?:

The Lazy Man's Initiative!!! :D
let automation do most of the work and let me reap the benefits (food = eating good AND $$$) :lol:

sebarker75
08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
That sounds like a plan to me. i have an IT guy that could help me with the programming and i like to wire things up. i was wondering where to find all the sensors for each job.

David - WI
08-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Before you dive into a project like this, it might be helpful to look at the documentation and product offerings from some "retail" products - Apex from Neptune Systems is what we have but there is also the ReefKeeper from Digital Aquatics, and probably a host of others.

If you see what features they have and what sensors they use, you might get some ideas for what you really want/need?

sebarker75
08-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks again I will look into it. That stuff is way over my head. Lol. I luv to learn though.

RedLegA1
08-29-2013, 05:37 AM
Hey yall, I just read this article on DIY Automation. My son and I are automating our first system. He is a mechanical engineer and I am an electrical guy. We start the project this weekend. He has purchased the components and will use the Arduino Board that has been mentioned in this thread along with a solar powered pump and some other bells and whistles. We have looked at several projects, some of which are completely overdone with massive PLC's using relay and timer functions etc... We have an idea of what we want to achieve and we're confident that he can program it correctly. We will possibly control the whole thing via wireless communication. We will document the project and I will keep the forum posted of progress.

sebarker75
08-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Hey yall, I just read this article on DIY Automation. My son and I are automating our first system. He is a mechanical engineer and I am an electrical guy. We start the project this weekend. He has purchased the components and will use the Arduino Board that has been mentioned in this thread along with a solar powered pump and some other bells and whistles. We have looked at several projects, some of which are completely overdone with massive PLC's using relay and timer functions etc... We have an idea of what we want to achieve and we're confident that he can program it correctly. We will possibly control the whole thing via wireless communication. We will document the project and I will keep the forum posted of progress.

Wow sounds cool. You will have to keep me updated if its not too much trouble. That stuff is right up my alley. I hope it works out for yall.

Aloha Don
08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
thats what I like to hear...
When you get started please open a new thread so we can follow your progress and ask you questions
thanks for your input!

JCO
08-29-2013, 02:58 PM
This is a subject that I am asked about many times over the years and have absolutely no clue about. This is your chance to contribute some real technology and shine like new money. Lots of photos and language we, the little people, can understand. :mrgreen:

Keydet184
09-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Just finished the first program for very simple automation of turning pumps on and off. A couple notes on Arduinos:

1) They use a 7-12VDC max power source
2) They output a max 5VDC, 40mA, so you don't want to directly control higher voltage devices or you'll short parts of the Arduino
3) They record time in milliseconds so time values look really high for only a couple minutes. There are other ways for working with time but I haven't gotten there yet

Here's the code:

// This program will turn on one pump at a time using a 5V input to 12V relay. It sets
// the pump to turn on every hour for 15 minutes, then shut off for 45 minutes.
// It goes through pumps in succession.

const int pumpRelay1 = 12; //pin 12
const int pumpRelay2 = 11; //pin 11

void setup() {
pinMode (pumpRelay1, OUTPUT); //sets whether the pin will receive or
pinMode (pumpRelay2, OUTPUT); //send a signal
}

void loop() {

delay(30000); //delays the cycle for 30s
digitalWrite(pumpRelay1, HIGH); //HIGH means ON, in this case, powering the relay
delay(900000); //this leaves the pump on for 15min
//1000ms/s*60s/min*15min=900,000
digitalWrite(pumpRelay1, LOW); //turns off the relay to Pump1
digitalWrite(pumpRelay2, HIGH); //pump 2 is now on right after pump1
//cuts off
delay(900000);
digitalWrite(pumpRelay2, LOW); //pump 2 is now off

//roughly 30 min has elapsed since the first pump cut on. We want the loop
//to run again in 30 min and cut pump1 on again
delay(1800000);
}

// max output Voltage = 5V for digitalWrite(pin, HIGH)
// max output current = 40mA for Atmega pins, connect OUTPUT pins to other
// devices with 470? or 1k resistors, unless maximum current draw
// from the pins is required for a particular application. This avoids
// shorting the circuit.

Anyone with experience here give me your thoughts. I know there are ways to set this up so its smoother and more
compatible as the inputs and outputs get more complex, but again, this is baby step 1. Also I'm trying to find a good source
for relays, servo motors, sensors, etc.

Roger L.
09-06-2013, 08:52 PM
WOW! And I thought matching the colors on my water testing kit was hard. :lol:

RedLegA1
09-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Babby-Stteeeepps....
Yup, that's my Enganear son taking baby steps.
Hey John, go easy on us old fellers.

JCO
09-06-2013, 10:53 PM
DUHHHHhhhh...OH MY HEADDDdddddd..! :shock: :mrgreen:

dead_sled
09-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Very nice simple program for a pump timer. Are you going to add any inputs for monitoring system conditions (pump flow, water level, leak detection, etc, etc)?

Thanks for sharing guys. 8-) Time for the Arduino dance.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lui8hnXs0v1qlp5d7o1_500.gif

JCO
09-07-2013, 10:40 AM
OH MY HEADDDdddddd..so dizzy..! :shock: :mrgreen:

Keydet184
09-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Sensors are the next step. I have to do research on what's available and what interfaces nicely with the arduino, making sure I'm putting round pegs in round holes so to speak.

bsfman
09-08-2013, 05:58 AM
You may have already seen this arduino based system...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wWTads ... e=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wWTadsBDA&feature=youtu.be)

Keydet184
09-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Ya, my dad sent me that video right after I got the thing. I've tried to find the website he was using to get the "instant code" as a reference, but unsuccessful so far. The whole point for me is learning, so the search has still turned up good stuff.

JCO
09-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Check out this link Electronic PH, ammonia sensors. (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1716-Electronic-PH-ammonia-sensors) :mrgreen:

sebarker75
09-09-2013, 09:14 AM
ive been looking at atlasscientific.com. they seem to have a temp , DO, and ph sensor, but kind of exspensive. I would like to know if they would work or not with the arduinos system. that ph sesor is about 110.00 but i cant find a cheaper one. all pretty cool. i like learning new things like this.

dead_sled
09-09-2013, 06:13 PM
ive been looking at atlasscientific.com. they seem to have a temp , DO, and ph sensor, but kind of exspensive. I would like to know if they would work or not with the arduinos system. that ph sesor is about 110.00 but i cant find a cheaper one. all pretty cool. i like learning new things like this.

The ph sensor on that site appears to be a quality set up. Plus, the give you the coding to connect the sensor controller to your Arduino. IMO, that is a great price. The sensors that we supply to our customers are much more expensive (around $1000 for a sensor and controller). Pretty sweet site. I had not seen that one yet. 8-)

Mr. Ninja
09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Just looking at that code, you may want to look into using the avr chips in-built timers.

Da' reason:

using the delay() function actually stops the board from doing anything at all for however long you specify. Timers are literally just that: timers. You start a clock built into the avr chips, and call an interrupt when that hits a certain level.
You may want to look up arduino timers. The code all looked great.

One note on the resistors connected to the board: No sigle hardware componant measures in amperage, unless it is designed to test for amperage. They are always controlled by voltage. So if you need to control something, and don't just need on/off, go for the analog pins (A0-A5 on the Uno), they control voltage. If you need to change the amperage, go for a transistor on an analog pin, the higher the voltage, the more current (or less resistance).

If you really want to automate it though, I recommend you use an arduino for the sensors and controlling things, and then go for a raspberry pi (or beagleone black) to actually control everything, just use the arduino as a dumb controller and sensor interface. That way you can have a web server that you can visit to see. Also, with the pi, you can have a camera, which could take 10-second videos every, let's say, half an hour, just so you can see and catalog changes, especially when you're away.

sebarker75
09-11-2013, 07:14 AM
I dont know much about the sensor or what i need to look for. i was going to try that ph sensor, and DO sensor and the temp sensor from atlas. i wonder how they measure the sump tank and fish tank water level. i even saw where they monitor the water level in grow beds. i wonder how they do that.

dead_sled
09-13-2013, 06:22 AM
I dont know much about the sensor or what i need to look for. i was going to try that ph sensor, and DO sensor and the temp sensor from atlas. i wonder how they measure the sump tank and fish tank water level. i even saw where they monitor the water level in grow beds. i wonder how they do that.

You can measure water depth by using a pressure sensor. This would give you an analog reading of the water level. I would be more concerned with the water level being too high or too low. For this you could find a float switch or something similar to alert you of the high or low level condition via a digital signal (on or off).

David - WI
09-13-2013, 06:36 AM
I bought a lot of 6 like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161070044880

There are also similar switches with two floats so you can have a "high" and a "low"... plus you can reverse the float(s) to have "normally open" or "normally closed" switch logic depending on what you're trying to do.

http://m4.sourcingmap.com/photo_new/20121023/g/ux_a12102300ux0127_ux_g03.jpg

Keydet184
09-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Just looking at that code, you may want to look into using the avr chips in-built timers.

Da' reason:

using the delay() function actually stops the board from doing anything at all for however long you specify. Timers are literally just that: timers. You start a clock built into the avr chips, and call an interrupt when that hits a certain level.
You may want to look up arduino timers. The code all looked great.

Good point. The delay setup is just for controlling the pumps. Once we add complexity, I will change accordingly later. Any thoughts on pros-cons of just using millis() (for those who don't know, it records the time since the device was turned on). I know it resets after a few days, but if I'm just concerned with dt (time differences), would it matter?

I really like the idea of using a Pi, but how well do the two interface? Would you write the code for an arduino sketch or just have it connected to the Pi and write the code through that?

dead_sled
09-17-2013, 02:49 PM
The arduino and the raspberry pi play very well together. There are many examples of this on the net. The arduino is programmed to control the system. The RPi collects the data from the arduino and allows it to be displayed. The RPi is basically a very lightweight linux computer. It has a small amount of digital inputs and outputs that could be used. There are also add on peripherals such as webcams that can be used (live stream of the system).

Keydet184
09-26-2013, 09:16 PM
I think I'll just use an old laptop rather than the Pi since we have an old one, although I might find it easier to use it. And they're cheap so no harm. Word of advice though for anyone interested in doing Microcontrollers, don't go buy little component kits ( the ones with leds, pushbuttons, resistors....) just find some old Free TV, radio, microwave, just about anything you plug into a wall and you'll find all the little toys you want. You may not find what you need for your app, but it will get you through the learning part.

oldSarge
06-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Thirty-two months and some days later . . .

I hope this project hasn't been dropped. I'm very interested in automating a good sized system now.

I've no experience with the Pi nor the Arduino (is that ar-doo-ee-no or ar-dwee-no?) but I am an app/Web developer and would have little problem powering up in the Linux/Unix arena.

Please post a progress report if any has been had.

Deuem
06-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Old Sarge, I think this site is waiting for a few thousand new members. It appears that there are 4 people here now and we missed the boat for 3 years or so. I guess it is nice that they kept the site open. So they have to start again.