PDA

View Full Version : Newby from St Cloud Florida

gpratt
08-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I Gary and have pretty much finished my version of a best guess at an aquaponic system. I'll try to post a pic. Fish are in plants are not doing well because if the summer time bugs/fungus in FL and my lack of knowledge on gardening. Anyone local to me?

bsfman
08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
One of the forum moderators, davidstcldfl, is in St Cloud (who'da guessed?). But he recently posted he's only allowed an hour online at his local library due to his computer crash at home :(

Nice looking setup by the way! :)

eddiemigue
08-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Welcome. System looks good. More details/pics would be nice.

JCO
08-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the forum...take a moment, go to your profile and put in your location. More photos, close ups. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
08-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi neighbor... :)
Looks like it's way too late to warn you about the 'addiction'.... :? :lol:

I live 'in' st. cld. I'm guessing your down in the manor...or maybe up in Narcoossee...?

I did see your 'pm'...I'll give you a call soon... 8-)

Aloha Don
08-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the addiction...
Looks like you got the bug real good
Nice looking setup.
If you get a chance, please tell us about your set up

JCO
08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
So gpratt, one photo doesn't quite tell the tail...more info and photos please. We are addicts here and you have control of our next fix. 8-) :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
08-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Got to meet Garry a few days ago....what A GREAT GUY.... 8-)

The system was well done. Hope to see some pictures of more grow beds soon...... ;)

JCO
08-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Don't stop there David, give particulars :mrgreen:

gpratt
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Ok Guys here are the pics ya asked for. I am working my way through this AP stuff trying to learn as a go. So far I've just tried to id problems and research what may work to solve issue.

1st problem - best way to setup the tanks - ended up raising the tank on left up to match the 2 on right - wasn't an issue until I added the solids filter

2nd problem - algae - best option for me worked out to be wrapping tanks with 2nd hand billboard material - fella nearby replaces billboard signage - sells the old ones for $50 and saved me one that was mostly white - worked great and tough stuff - bought another one later

3rd problem maybe - Summer sun and heat in FL is tough so I coughed up the money to build the shade screen not sure it was money well spent but it's there now anyway

4th problem - solids build up in tanks - decided to go with a radial flow - water cleared up great

another post with more pics

Still don't know crap about gardening in FL but trying to learn

Forget about the fish

Started out with some goldies to see if they would live.

Then got 100 blue tilapia the end of May - they are growing - feeding www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/sportsma ... de%3B-feed (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/sportsmans-choicereg%3B-trophyfishtrade%3B-feed)

gpratt
09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
More pics - the glass tanks are a work in progress - traded some hand made soap for some old glass tanks - will be repairing them later - hopefully they will serve as breeding tank and fry tank

gpratt
09-06-2013, 10:58 AM
More pics

gpratt
09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Last pics

Aloha Don
09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the picture update!!
Very nice looking setup.
How old is this system?

JCO
09-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Hey, looking really good. So how are the Tilapia doing so far? :mrgreen:

gpratt
09-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Don Thanks, I built the system around the end of March.

JCO The fish seem to be done OK as far as I can tell. None found floating belly up anyway. I bought 100 little guys but I think some grew large enough to munch on smaller ones. I really don't know how many are in the tanks.

gpratt
09-11-2013, 07:59 AM
I may have a leak? Question about water loss. I have to add water ever week (maybe 25 - 50 gal). I never really kept track so not sure but it seems like a lot. I don't know how much is normal for a system the size of mine. Any input would be appreciated. The lasted pics of the system are current.

Aloha Don
09-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I have a very small system on my back patio.....
I am only running about 50 gallons through my system and I have to fill it each week about 4-5 gallons.
I am thinking this 10% may be normal due to heat, evaporation and plant uptake.
I am now using an automatic timer to mist sprouts and I am using this to top off my tank each day.
Works well and is one less thing I need to worry about.
How many gallons of water do you have in your system?

gpratt
09-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Thanks Scott

I'm guesstimating somewhere between 750 and 1000 gal.

It sounds as if I my be experiencing normal loss through plant intake and evaporation going by your usage. I've looked for leaks and found none but I do have some piping under ground and not really wanting to have to start digging. Especially if it's going to be a waste of time. I've made so many changes over the last few months that it was hard to even guess accurately on water loss.

Thanks again!

gpratt
02-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Update -last post was in July I think. So here's the run down. Still in learning phase but getting there. Now working on learning more about starting plants from seeds (wasting to many seeds).

About the fish (tilapia) put in at the end of March I think. Started with 100 little guys, so far about 10 or 12 lost ( few jumpers, couple unknowns, lately 4 due to I think cold temps). Water got below 50 a couple of time. The first time about half were not moving and on their sides. Added hot water and they revived. Facts learned - shut off the pump before bed and would lose about 5 F overnight leave it running and lose about 10 to 12 F overnight. The fish seem to do fine with pump off overnight. Accidentally shut the pump off for 12 to 15 hrs once - none died but they didn't want to move until I started to pump back up and they got some air. I'm talking about the water pump, I use it to aerate to water. The stretch of temps in the water between 52 and 62 over about a week - 4 dead fish.

Made some changes for one reason or another but you'll see in the pics

gpratt
02-21-2014, 01:42 PM
More pics

gpratt
02-21-2014, 01:44 PM
More pics

gpratt
02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
More pics

JCO
02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear your fish are doing so well and it looks like your veggies are perculating just fine also.

Keep us up to date :mrgreen:

samtheman
02-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Wow, your setup looks very nice and the tomatoes look awesome! have you had any problem with caterpillars on the tomato plants? I constantly have to watch for them in my tomato plants for some reason....Nice work bro!

gpratt
02-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Rats are the biggest problem with the tomatoes and they like to soft tips on bean vines. Just trapped another one tonight.

Apollo
02-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Great Job...Does shutting off your pump affect your plants?

davidstcldfl
02-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Looking good Gary :)

By chance, do you know the person setting up the green house and AP system at the east end of lakeshore (in st cld)...where you make the turn to go to Rummle rd. ?