PDA

View Full Version : My not-so-neat small apartment system

Nikenik
07-30-2013, 11:54 PM
I've finally got everything together and my system is now up and running. It's taken a lot more time than I thought it would. Mainly because I've had problems finding the right plumbing supplies, being lazy (it's been baking hot in my apartment), getting the god damn loop-siphon to work and the big undertaking of tidying up in my living room so I could make room for it and making sure nothing sits directly on the floor in cause of a water leak.

My system is based on this design http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-and-Cheap-IKEA-Indoor-Aquaponics-System/#step1, but like with everything I do mine is not so tidy and with a lot of changes that might or might not work. :roll:

Anyway... here are some pictures.
[attachment=2:2cuq9i0k]1.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
I would like to raise it up so it's level with the window and will probably do that further on.
[attachment=1:2cuq9i0k]2.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
I decided to put a loop siphon instead of a bell siphon in order to get more space inside the growbed.
It was also a big hassle to paint the GB and the FT, I got a hold of a, very expensive, oil based red primer and painted them black with a cheap plastic spray paint on top of that. I hindsight I should've just covered them in aluminium foil or black garbage bags. But the colour is kind of cool. Reminds of those raspberry/licorice wine gums you can get here in sweden called "red skulls". :P
http://www.bubs.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/losgodis-hallonlakritsskallar-mini-300x232.jpg
[attachment=0:2cuq9i0k]3.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
My plan is to make a few "strawberry towers" from PET-bottles like a window farm but using the excess power from my pump to have a constant flow through them. I hanged 4 bottles not yet painted in the window so you could get an idea. I reckon I can put 16 bottles with a plant in each in just that window.

The clay beads (LECA, sometimes called hydroton) floats so I've haven't been able to plant anything yet. I read they will eventually sink.

The plan is to cycle the system with compost tea and seaweed extract for 2 weeks and then buy some goldfish.

JCO
07-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Looking good so far... a little fermented human urine (tinkle in a 2 liter plastic bottle and let it set for a couple days...smells terrible but is ammonia rich) will help with the bacteria growth. Keep the photos coming :mrgreen:

Nikenik
07-31-2013, 01:24 AM
JCO: Thanks! But perhaps the pictures made it look a little better then it is. The "plumbing" is just garden hose-stuff and some zip-ties. I couldn't find any PVC t-joints and ball valve's around here. There's is pvc piping, but the valves are always brass.
Cheaper to buy a few meters of garden hose too... :P

I've thought about storing my own urine. Even about doing a "pee-ponics" setup, but maybe I'll wait with that one until I've moved out to the country side. :D
Meanwhile I actually have a bottle of fermented nettles från General Hydroponics I bought last year. Will use that one as a ammonia source until it runs out.

Aloha Don
07-31-2013, 11:03 AM
It doesn't have to be fancy or pretty as long as it works...
There are many ways to put together a system and now you have done it!
Good job!!!
I may have missed it but do you have a small air pump in your FT?
Thanks for the pics and keep up the good work...

Nikenik
07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks Don. :-)

No, no air pump yet. But the pump is so powerfull it actually produces a swirl in the ft. Will add air stones later when I've added fish.

eddiemigue
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Welcome. If you have part of the water from the pump returning to the FT, you could add a spray bar or a venturi and save the energy required for an air pump

Nikenik
07-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Eddiemigue: I've done that now, had the venturi on the bottom of the FT so the water was in motion but have raised above the surface now. Don't think any more aeration will be necessary.

The clay-beads rise about 6-7 cm when the GB is being filled. Will it eventually settle down? Been running the system for 24 hours now, with no noticeable change...

eddiemigue
08-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Once the hydroton saturates, it should settle down.

Nikenik
08-01-2013, 12:02 PM
It turns out I hadn't put enough beads in my GB. When I added 4-5 liters more to fill it up completely the rising of the beads went down from 6 cm to just 0,5 cm, witch is what I hoped for.

Was afraid the clay beads would fall out of the grow bed, but it turned out fine.

Have planted my first seedlings now. =)

David - WI
08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Welcome. If you have part of the water from the pump returning to the FT, you could add a spray bar or a venturi and save the energy required for an air pump

Not really. The venturis that we have (properly sized, commercial product) reduce the flow from our pumps by 50%... meaning each venturi is taking 1hp to run.

Nikenik
08-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Not really. The venturis that we have (properly sized, commercial product) reduce the flow from our pumps by 50%... meaning each venturi is taking 1hp to run.

Well yes, in a properly planned out system you might save a few watts. But in this case with such a small and cheap system you save the cost for a good air pump, tubes and air stones, plus the movement in the FT gets better then using a smaller pump and a air pump.
My pump is for 400L/hour and cost about 12€, a smaller pump would cost around 10€ and a good air pump around 12€ with tubes and airstones for another 3€.

I even got a swirl going in the tank, should be good for the fish I think... Like a hamster wheel for my gold fish. :)

Aloha Don
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Like a hamster wheel for my gold fish. :)

:lol: Keep them little guys healthy so they can produce "healthy" byproducts :lol:

JCO
08-01-2013, 02:54 PM
More photos please...worth a thousand words. :mrgreen:

Nikenik
08-02-2013, 05:00 AM
Here's two more pics.
[attachment=0:17ngfjz7]5.JPG[/attachment:17ngfjz7]I just planted some seedlings I had "lying around". a sallad cutting from a store bought plant, some mint, watercress, a basil and a somewhat damaged dill that got like that when I tried to remove the rockwool.
I also took a tomato cutting and planted, hopefully it will take. Otherwise I've put some salad, chillis and peppers-seeds in vermiculite that I'll plant "properly" when they're ready.

[attachment=1:17ngfjz7]4.JPG[/attachment:17ngfjz7]Here is a picture where you see the fish tank and my plumbing made from a 3€-garden hose splitter.
I added about 6 liters more LECA yesterday but the water cleans up nicely. It was pitch black the first day.
I didn't wash the beads because the dust should serve as a good carrier (right word?) for the bacteria and hopefully speed up the cycling.

I just got my brand new water test-kit, that I've been saving up for. It's a Sera aqua test box. =)
http://www.fishworld.com.au/img/p/305-293-thickbox.jpg
Maybe a little overkill but I've studied chemistry and to me a kit like that is christmas and midsummers eve all in one! :geek:

Right now the pH is 6.8-7 and everyday I've added a little compost-tea, fermented nettles, seaweed extract, calcium carbonate (egg shells) and used phosphoric acid as a pH down.
Will start to test the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, KH and all the other cool stuff when I've read the instructions.

Aloha Don
08-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Your system is not that old...If I am reading your posts correctly.
Give it time to cycle properly and as the system matures the PH will drop through natural process
High PH in the beginning actually helps the beneficial bacteria to thrive in your system.
Also, how high does your water rise in your GBs. Ideally the top of your medium will remain dry.
Thanks for the update...

Nikenik
08-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Aloha Don: Correct, just a few days old.

I felt I had to do something about the water chemistry since in the town I live in have the worst water in sweden. It's taken from a lake and purifed, not a underground spring. The water is very "soft" and has a pH well above 8.2 and it tastes horrible.
Still safe and so on, but everyone around here complains about it.
So I thought I lower it to a proper level with phosphoric acid and try to stabilize it with some roasted eggshells.
The pH rises slowly over time, had a reading of 7.2 this morning, and if I add some form ammonia it will rise even more.
Wouldn't the bacteria benifit from a added source of ammonia AND some acid at the same time?

My water rises to about 3/4 of the GB.
I've sprayed the seedlings I planted with compost-tea 2-3 times a day to get them some nutrient through their leaves before they got big enough roots.
I'm aware I might have to adjust the height of the loop siphon but I will wait a day or so and see how it goes. Some beads have begun to dry on the surface of the GB

Aloha Don
08-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Any updates on your system?

Nikenik
08-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Any updates on your system?

Thanks for asking. I've moved to backyardaquaponics after a little disagreement about freedom of speech with the moderator.

To much politics, to little aquaponics here.

My system is doing fine, just about cycled and will soon get some goldfish.

JCO
08-18-2013, 08:32 PM
a little disagreement about freedom of speech with the moderator

That's an untruth...NO moderator had a disagreement with you about freedom of speech! There has never been any restrictions on freedom of speech on this forum since I started it almost 6 years ago but I will not tolerate personal attacks on myself or any member of this forum from any other member just because their personal opinion differs from any individual/s on this forum.

You popped into a thread in the SUMP where keith_r and I were discussing an issue to do with American social issues and your last and one and only post in that thread was that you were leaving because of the thread. I don't know what it had to do with you but you are welcome to go or stay anytime you like. Why you chose to leave because of our discussion is beyond me. :!:

To much politics, to little aquaponics here.

This forum was created for mature adults to pursue knowledge about the technologies of Aquaponics. Our SUMP is like Las Vegas....what happens in the SUMP stays in the SUMP. You don't have to read the posts in the SUMP if you don't want to and you don't have to agree with them. That's why the SUMP was created by the members of this forum in the first place.

You left this forum because you didn't agree with what was being said about American social issues and American political views, none of which have anything to do with you in Sweden, so where's the rub?

I don't think you are being fair to all the members who eagerly assisted you and answered all your questions about how to do this or that when you first appeared on the forum. You apparently didn't find too little Aquaponics here then.

You can frequent whatever forum you want, come or go, it's of no consequence to me, but I think you owe the members of DIY Aquaponics Forum an apology. :?:

I challenge you to do the right thing :!:

Roger L.
08-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Amen! I was very surprised when I read both of those comments and could not believe the validity of either statement.

Aloha Don
08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Sorry to hear that.
We do enjoy hearing from people from all places, backgrounds and experiences.
Hope you continue your AP journey and pop in from time to time to update us on your system

dead_sled
08-19-2013, 03:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Ylijt.gif

JCO
08-19-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm not about to say anything about what that man is eating or why his head seems to be loose, but I do question the content and its meaning.

Please explain it for the cheap seats :lol: :mrgreen:

dead_sled
08-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Just sitting here and enjoying the show.
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

JCO
08-20-2013, 09:20 PM
So (not being racist) are you black or is that just a great tan :? :mrgreen:

dead_sled
08-23-2013, 07:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ylijt.gif
Although I do enjoy popcorn, this is not me. This is actor Dule Hill from the show Psych. I am not familiar with the show, but I do enjoy his stylized technique for popcorn consumption. :mrgreen:

He also has a much better tan than I. 8-)

Aloha Don
08-23-2013, 09:45 AM
JCO, the more pertinent question should be ...Are you an aquaponist? :lol:
tan lines do not matter here unless it is that farmer's tan :mrgreen: