PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from SW Florida.

Reelinjbird
07-29-2013, 07:56 AM
I have been gardening all my life, but had never heard of aquaponics. About six months ago I was trying to find a better way to filter my 1000 gallon tilapia pond and stumbled upon the topic. After the long battle of soil issues and many other things I have been fighting since moving to this area I was quite interested. So I began researching for a few months many different setups, issues, success stories, trial and error experiences ect. I felt it was time to get started building. I couldn't be happier with the system so far. I have 6 growbeds that have been going for about 2 1/2 months and I'm looking to expand in the future.

Good Times!!!
Reelinjbird

Roger L.
07-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Aloha Don
07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Welcome to the addiction...
Could you please tell us about your system and your experiences in building
Looking forward to seeing pictures

alansfirearms
07-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I am in Port St Lucie and looking for tilapia to be put in my 1200 Gal pond, can anyone tell me where I can get young starter fish down here. Thanks in advance.
Alan

bsfman
07-29-2013, 02:29 PM
I have been gardening all my life, but had never heard of aquaponics. About six months ago I was trying to find a better way to filter my 1000 gallon tilapia pond and stumbled upon the topic. After the long battle of soil issues and many other things I have been fighting since moving to this area I was quite interested. So I began researching for a few months many different setups, issues, success stories, trial and error experiences ect. I felt it was time to get started building. I couldn't be happier with the system so far. I have 6 growbeds that have been going for about 2 1/2 months and I'm looking to expand in the future.

Good Times!!!
Reelinjbird

Greetings from Cape Coral, Reelinjbird!

eddiemigue
07-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Welcome. Note about some pics if the system?

JCO
07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the forum...we really do like photos and from the sound of it, we would really like to see what you have done and how it was done :mrgreen:

Reelinjbird
07-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome!!! Here is the pics you ask for.

Aloha Don
07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the pics
Very nice looking system
What is the approx capacity of the FT ?
How many fish you stock?
Thanks again

Reelinjbird
07-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks Don
The FT is approx. 925gallons.
I currently have about 75 Tilapia from 3 to 14 inches in the tank and quite a few smaller that that. I have a lot of various size hiding places (like pipes, flower pots, ect.) for the little ones I really can't tell until they get about 2 to 3 inches. I have had the pond slowly raising tilapia for a few years I just started the growbeds a couple months ago. I don't have any breeder tanks or anything, I've always just kinda let them do their own thing. I may change that now that I've started the aquaponics.

Reelinjbird
02-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Haven't posted in a while, so thought i would post some pics from the last few months.

Reelinjbird
02-22-2014, 10:30 PM
a few more

Reelinjbird
02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Just got a good deal on some stuff to expand so soon I will double the growbeds I have in the existing front yard system and build another slightly larger system in the backyard.

JCO
02-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Looks like everything is going great for you. Keep the updates coming on your system and new build as you progress :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi ReelinJbird...welcome... :) Wow, you've been a busy guy ... ;)

davidstcldfl
02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
I am in Port St Lucie and looking for tilapia to be put in my 1200 Gal pond, can anyone tell me where I can get young starter fish down here. Thanks in advance.
Alan

Hi Alansfirearms, Welcome to the forum....sorry no one responded to your post.

When you get a chance, try starting your own post and introduce yourself...more people may see it. There are a bunch of us in FL.
You may take a look in Craigs List...normally there are a few folks selling on there.