PDA

View Full Version : SPROUTS

Aloha Don
07-25-2013, 08:47 PM
I started sprouting over a year ago in an attempt to eat healthier. Sprouting is what led me to HP then AP.
Sprouts are more nutritious and tastier than grown veggies and they provide more nutrition also.
Sprouting has been around for a very long time. Sailors used sprouts to help with their scurvy (lack of vitamin C)
I mainly sprout broccoli because of its taste and health benefits. Broccoli sprouts are rich in fiber, enzymes and nutrients, including B vitamins, folic acid and vitamin C. These sprouts also contain 10-100 times the amount of potent anti-carcinogens than mature broccoli. This allow the body to boost ints own ability to fight and protect itself against cancer cells. Broccoli also helps protect your skin from ultraviolet radiation that damages the skin and can lead to skin cancer. The enzymes found in broccoli sprouts help the stomach fight the bacteria that cause stomach problems. Eating broccoli sprouts regularly might help reduce or prevent stomach ulcers and other gastric problems, including stomach cancer.
All of these problems stated above run in my family so I am trying to stop the cycle.
This little sprout is amazing!

I also sprout Alfalfa and radish. Makes for tasty samiches :D

Aloha Don
07-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Sprouting is EXTREMELY simple. For the broccoli, alfalfa and radish seeds - It only takes 4-5 days.
My little girl will eat sprouts every once in a while but I am the main consumer.
I use a 16 ounce wide-mouth mason jar for my sprouts.
I took the metal lid off and replaced it with a clean screen to allow water drainage and air
I place 2 teaspoons of seeds into the jar on Monday morning and fill up the jar with warm water and allow the seeds to soak for about 6-8 hours.
Then, I drain the water and place on a paper towel at an angle to allow the rest of the water to drain.
I give the seeds a thorough rinse 2-3 times a day for 5 days.
On the 5th day I place in the sun only to allow them to green up a little. (not really needed but it is my preference)
On the 5th day, I dump the sprouts into a bowl and rinse and separate the sprouts. This also allows me to wash the husks away. Make sure you dry them real good before placing in bag or tupperware bowls that go into fridge.
Water will cause the sprouts to rot faster. My sprouts only stay in the fridge for a week or two at the most before I eat them.

Aloha Don
07-25-2013, 09:07 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/67444_10201064216800722_1501171273_n.jpg
16 oz mason jar

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1016883_10201064217240733_1914456468_n.jpg
modified lid with screen for water drainage and air

https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/971361_10201064216440713_1647703672_n.jpg
4 day old broccoli sprouts. I could eat them now but I let them grow one more day

Aloha Don
07-25-2013, 09:17 PM
I have been visiting the local farmers markets around Honolulu and I have noticed that NO ONE is out there selling sprouts.
We have a few supermarkets that sale healthy products and they are selling sprouts in small 3 oz bags for $5-$6....
Sooooo......I am building a self contained sprouter inside a 27 gallon tub. I ordered some misters from Amazon and am building a 3 tray setup to go inside the tub. One for each seed (broccoli, alfalfa and radish) they have the same growth rate.
My plan is to have the misters on a timer (on 15 minutes ever 4- 5 hours. The trays will be lined with burlap and I will place seeds on this to grow, harvest and sell. I was thinking of having the run-off go into a bucket set up with a switch that will allow me top off my fish tank automatically.
I will post pics of this project when I get my material...."its in the mail"....

eddiemigue
07-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Look forward to seeing updates of your progress and thanks for sharing those details of the health benefits of sprouts.

I started during sprouting last year, first in a jar and then in a multi-layer spring container. It's a breeze and works liked a charm as long as heart isn't excessive. I agree that they add an excellent taste and texture to sandwiches, and they're not too bad in salads either.

Aloha Don
07-25-2013, 09:27 PM
first in a jar and then in a multi-layer spring container.

Please show/describe to me this container
Thank you

eddiemigue
07-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Here you go
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7616-biose ... r-kit.aspx (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7616-bioset-germinator-kit.aspx)

Roger L.
07-26-2013, 06:32 AM
Never thought of doing that but I do love bean sprouts in my chicken fried rice.

JCO
07-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Check out:-

http://www.fodderfeed.org/

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/growing-sprouted-fodder/72618

I realize this is a bit large for your own use, but it could be scaled down for local production for the farmers market. :mrgreen:

Aloha Don
07-26-2013, 09:37 AM
It always amazes me to look at various sites that offer "kits" (AP, HP, sprouting,etc.) for enormous amounts on money...
When I look at most of these kits, all it is are a few cheap tubs that you can pick up anywhere or buckets and PVC. They charge hundreds of dollars for minimal material costs...
We are in the wrong business.... :mrgreen:

JCO
07-27-2013, 06:36 PM
That's the way it has progressively gotten in this world. Someone is always trying to take advantage of those less informed and it is easily done in the Aquaponics field because even though it isn't a new technology, it is just now beginning to come into it's own.

When I started this website, there were only one, possibly two other Aquaponic websites on the net. Now from out of nowhere it would seem that everybody and his brother are Aquaponic gurus, a lot of whom have parroted or copied items from other Aquaponic websites and used it as their own.

Worse yet to my thinking are those who lack the knowledge or imagination to come up with their own material and infringe on the Trademark of another.

Take for example, this is the one and only, original DIY Aquaponics website on the internet yet if you Google for DIY Aquaponics, suddenly hundreds upon hundreds pop up using my Trade mark "DIY Aquaponics".

Murray Hallam even used DIY Aquaponics for his Aquaponics video. :shock: :o

If you can't think of it yourself, then steal it from another and call it yours, that's the way business is done. :?

Aloha Don
08-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry for the delay in updates...Day job is keeping me from my addiction... :lol:
I ordered a 6 head mister from amazon for $12 - Works great!
I had an old 18 gallon tub laying around that used to be a small FT so I already had an overflow hole drilled in it.
I made a few "make-shift" shelves out of an old milk carton. They fit nicely into the bottom of the tub and gives space for the water to drain out....I drilled a hole and installed a 3/4" grommet into it.
This allows 1/2" pvc a good water tight fit. I have the water draining into my FT. This provides an automatic top-off of my FT so I do not have to worry about evaporation as much.
I purchased a water timer from Lowes ($37) and put it on my outside spicket.
I have it programmed to turn on every 6 hours.
I also purchase 50' roll of burlap for $9
i doubled the burlap, wet it, and placed on my shelves and sprinkled my sprouting seeds on top.
I was afraid the seed would get washed into the FT but the mister provides such a fine mist that is no longer a concern.

Aloha Don
08-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Top view last night with misters flowing
https://sphotos-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1185362_10201234681502233_1151869872_n.jpg

JCO
08-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Looks great Don, I will be greatly interested to see how it all turns out. Don't forget, more photos please. :mrgreen:

Aloha Don
08-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Simple build anyone can do that provides nutritious veggies every week...
bin - $5
timer - $37 (probably can get this cheaper if you look around)
mister - $12
Grommet - $.80
1/2" PVC - cheap...
If system is outside you could just let the water drain out of the bottom onto the ground or other plants.
Total cost under $60....I should turn around and sale it for $150 :roll:
Anyone want to buy?... ;)
Most of us already have these items laying around anyway...DIY is the way to go!!

dead_sled
08-23-2013, 09:02 AM
...DIY is the way to go!! 8-) :mrgreen:

Don, do you have more than one level of sprouting trays in your contraption?

Aloha Don
08-23-2013, 09:39 AM
One of the things that slowed me down on this project is the trays...
I have been looking for some nice stackable-type trays that would fit nicely in the bin and easy to pull out for harvest and cleaning but I could not find any around my area...
I currently have 2 trays and yes they are on different levels.
This current crop is a "sacrificial" crop to see it I can sprout this way....
Because i have it outside, I am thinking I may need more air-flow through the system... but I will see in a few more days
sprouts were starting to grow last night :D

Aloha Don
08-27-2013, 02:07 PM
I think I shall declare Victory!!!
The new mister-sprouter worked very good.
I experimented with a 5 part salad mix and in 5 days...this is what I got :D
https://sphotos-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1234798_10201266088247382_484928579_n.jpg

Roger L.
08-27-2013, 02:16 PM
So do you harvest the tall ones and put the burlap back in?

Aloha Don
08-27-2013, 02:47 PM
I harvested all the veggies
I had two sheets of this burlap full of veggies
I could have reused but I wanted to try something different.
I want to see if I can germinate seeds faster in the misting system.
I placed 10 rock wool cubes with lettuce seeds in the system and I will see how it does.

Aloha Don
08-27-2013, 02:52 PM
I got about 20 oz of veggies from the experimental misting system.
I looked at the health food and grocery stores here that sell sprouts.
Sprouts are going for $3.99 for 4 oz. :shock:
I still have not seen sprouts at the farmers market so I think that this may be the niche to get started

JCO
08-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Sprouts look great...photos of your misting system please. :mrgreen:

Roger L.
08-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Don, what all do you grow in sprout form and what are their uses? Are they garnish, condiments, "healthy alternatives", etc.? Any sources for further info? Are you using your fish tank water or tap water? I'm wondering if this method might be good for a herb garden.

Aloha Don
08-28-2013, 10:16 AM
The nutritional value of sprouts is amazing.
there are tons of ways to grow sprouts
there are many counter top systems out there that are easy to use
I just wanted something that would be cheap and automatic...
This system is attached to my outside hose with a timer...
It only comes on 10 minutes every 6 hours so I have the drain topping off my fish tank
I think the misting system would be great for herb gardens...or any gardens...It provides minute droplets of water that the plants can intake more easily .