PDA

View Full Version : list of seed suppliers

15mules
07-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I am interested in heirloom seeds for my AP system. I do not really want hybrid varieties if I can keep from it. So far i have found a few good sources in "Seed Savers" and "Seeds of Change". I have never bought from either, but they seem to have a good variety. I would be interested in anyone who has bought from them or anyone who has some other good source for seeds.
Thanks

urbanfarmer
07-19-2013, 02:45 PM
define heirloom and hybrid

15mules
07-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Heirloom, as in seeds that I can plant this year, keep some of the seeds, plant next year and get the same plant.
Hybrid, as in a plant that has been crossed and you plant it this year and keep a seed and when you plant it next year it reverts back to a parent plant.

urbanfarmer
07-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Well, I would at least make sure to get strains that a resistant to disease in a commercial operation. For the backyarder, pffft, get them where they are cheapest, I say! :mrgreen:

Don't get caught up in the marketing jargon of heirloom, hybrid, organic, etc. What you think it means is not what they think it means, but what you think it means is what they want you to think it means. :lol:

15mules
07-20-2013, 11:46 AM
UF, So in other words, you do not know of any good seed suppliers??

urbanfarmer
07-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I normally buy anything for personal use at farmers market's (local genetics are the best). If not, use online market places to find them. eBay, Amazon, and Google are all good market places where you can find family heirloom genetics directly from the people that represent true family "heirloom" varieties. It's a strange concept to be buying family heirlooms from a corporation, but that's the way marketing works nowadays! :lol:

15mules
07-20-2013, 01:07 PM
UF,
I really did not start this thread to get into the politics of what a seed should or should not be. I just figured it would be good to have a place where new members could come who are starting up systems and have a list of places available to buy seeds from. Not generalities, but names of stores that everyone would be able to access. Most of the times that is going to be internet sources. The truth is sometimes when people are just starting out, they do not know what will grow well for them.
I know there are places out there that sell variety packs and assortments that can give someone lots of different choices of things to try. I have seen them before, but I just do not know any by name and was hoping there would be others willing to help add some names of places to this list.

urbanfarmer
07-20-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure what the politics comment is for, but no matter. I will answer again since you want corporations: :lol: :mrgreen:

LOWES
HOME DEPOT
WARLMART
HARBOR FREIGHT
DOLLAR STORES
CVS
ANY GARDEN/HARDWARE STORE

Most of these have an online store as well.

I have seen heirloom and organic branded, brand new, in the package, seeds for 10 pennies at some of these stores. Heck, I've even bought some they were so cheap (you'd be surprised at the varieties between stores even in the same store chain). I once bought a pack of yellow heirloom habanero peppers for 25 cents. Whew, just threw those in as soon as I got home. Yummmm. :D

Quite honestly though, going online to something like eBay, Amazon, or Google is going to be the next best thing other than getting "real" family heirloom varieties from farmers/gardeners in your local area that grow these things (unless you are looking for something rare or new and exciting, but starting out this is always BEST).

I don't recommend heirloom varieties to beginners. This doesn't mean don't do it, but be ready to expect a more challenging garden. Likely, you can encounter more plant related issues, and this makes the learning curve more steep for most people. Heirloom varieties often lack disease resistance, drought and heat tolerance, greater light tolerance, and often yield far less and for far shorter than their commercially bred counterparts. Fruit size can also be much smaller, but not always. Strawberries, bananas, and pretty much any major crop species in production has a much smaller, weaker, but sometimes tastier, heirloom counterpart.

15mules
07-20-2013, 02:42 PM
UF,
Thanks for the info. I really had no idea you could buy seeds at Amazon? I thought they only sold book's and dvd's and such. I will try and look there. Have you bought seeds from e-bay? I have never bought much there. I was always a bit hesitant, as I had a few friends talk about having problems with sellers etc., so I just always kinda shied away from them.

urbanfarmer
07-20-2013, 03:27 PM
UF,
Thanks for the info. I really had no idea you could buy seeds at Amazon? I thought they only sold book's and dvd's and such. I will try and look there. Have you bought seeds from e-bay? I have never bought much there. I was always a bit hesitant, as I had a few friends talk about having problems with sellers etc., so I just always kinda shied away from them.
I have bought live plants, seeds, and even soil supplements from merchants from both marketplaces. I have had very few problems in the past, but the worst you get is a refund. Sometimes they go the extra mile and it's really great service. I have heard horror stories too, but most sellers are honest and customer service oriented. I always check the seller ratings though. Go with the folks with good reputations to be safe. :ugeek:

JCO
07-20-2013, 10:59 PM
15mules, The seed company you are looking for is:-

http://www.territorialseed.com/?r=MWGOOGB&gclid=CJe6sfnzv7gCFWho7AodGVYAVQ

They've got it all :mrgreen:

Roger L.
07-21-2013, 07:58 AM
That's what I think the original post was looking for, just a place to gather a list of places others have tried and been satisfied with. I just used good old standby, the Burpee Seed co. Via Internet.

15mules
07-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Yes, Burpee has been around a long time I will try to do a internet search. I will also check out the place JCO mentioned.
Thanks

dead_sled
07-23-2013, 07:04 AM
I usually go to baker creek heirloom seeds. They have a location in southern Missouri. The clickable is: http://www.rareseeds.com

Non gmo for me and my family. :mrgreen:

eddiemigue
07-23-2013, 07:21 AM
I have bought from Johnny seeds and park seed. Both are very good and carry good varieties, including open-pollinated, hybrid, OG and pelleted seeds. Johnny's is particularly good for year round planting and includes a good amount of seeds that do well in an unheated hoop house as per Elliott Coleman's books. Johnny's site also has some nice excel spreadsheets for free that help calculate sow/TP dates and succession planting.

15mules
07-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Now, we are getting a good list of seed suppliers together.
Thanks, Guys

Aloha Don
07-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I have been looking at cropking and amhydro for prices and ideas when I finally decide to go commercial.
I have not ordered anything from them.
The only seeds that I have ordered on-line were from Handy Pantry (sprouting seeds). They are very friendly and helpful.
Sprouting was how I got started into AP...very easy, nutritious and tasty!!! :D

JCO
07-25-2013, 01:01 AM
OK, you've hit on a topic I would like to know more about. How about starting a new thread and tell us all you know about sprouting seeds and don't leave anything out. Got any photos :?: :mrgreen: