PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about Organic Certification a bit!

15mules
07-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Organic Certification for an AP system.

Organic Certification or to make it easier, we will call it OC, from here on out. It is possible to get OC for an AP system, but what is the real benefit and is it worth the cost? According to the USDA, they pretty much own the word "ORGANIC". It is not legal to sell anything labelled ORGANIC or have ORGANIC in the bushiness name without first receiving OC from one of the qualifying agencies. No, these are not Government or USDA agencies, but private agencies who have paid great amounts of money in order to be listed, as a certifying agency. Therefore this is not a free service the government provides (as if they provide anything free, but that is another topic) The rule, as I understand it, says if you, as an individual sell less than $5000.00 worth of produce a year you can call your product organic, without being certified. However, you sell $5001.00 or more, now you are subject to massive fines etc. if they decide to pursue it. The fine as I understand it is several thousand dollars per offense. 10 boxes of lettuce too many, 10 offenses!
So how do I get OC? I contact a OC agency and find out their build requirements and listed approved materials and plants etc. I pay for them to come to my farm and do an inspection. I pay for them to be there, I pay for them to go home. You get the idea, I pay for ALL of their expenses, plus their fee. I believe somewhere in the $900.00 range the first year and considerably less the following years. 1 inspection, 1 time a year, every year.
So is it worth it? I guess it really depends on your clients. I think to some it would make no difference, to others they may only buy your product if it says ORGANIC?
I will be be honest, I am still up in the air over this. I do not have to decide right away, as I do not plan to start selling until next spring. I do plan to build my AP system according to their guidelines, so I will be eligible, if I decide to go for OC. I am just interested on other peoples ideas about the value of OC

JCO
07-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Before you go off worrying about OC....get them to provide you with what building materials you can and CAN'T use in the construction of your greenhouses, tubing, wood, metal, approved media, and all the other specs required to be call ORGANIC.

I personally don't think it's worth the effort...just me. :mrgreen:

15mules
07-20-2013, 06:06 AM
JCO I never worry about things, but I do consider them. I do have all of the specs. and materials list that are accepted and I intend to build my system accordingly. But, this is in my area and I am not really convinced it will be worth while to get OC here. I know probably in some areas there would be a better market for OC produce and was hoping to hear from some folks in different parts of the country about this. Even if they are not selling commercially, they may have noticed if OC produce sells in their area or just sits on the shelf? All good things to pay attention to and think about.

JCO
07-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

I'm not mistaken very often, however there was once when I didn't think I knew it all but I "WAS" actually mistaken. 8-)

Irish eyes are always smiling but
"In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
so never forget
"MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

We need more members with memorable signatures and all members should have an avatar of some kind to show forum spirit. :mrgreen:

15mules
07-21-2013, 11:12 AM
JCO, I hear you. Didn't say I believed you!! But I hear you!! :lol:

Aloha Don
07-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Have you contacted your potential customers and asked them what their needs are and what they are willing to pay for your product? If there is not a market for Organic then it would not be worth the hassle/$$$. If there is, then you would have to count the cost of going in that direction.
Just my thoughts....

eddiemigue
07-24-2013, 04:44 PM
OG in my area would probably be worth it here since it commands quite a premium and most folks don't understand the real control/money scheme behind OG. Just another area where govt gets involved to limit the rights of the little guy and rig the game in favor of big corp.

Roger L.
07-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Watch out Eddie, the liberal police will be after you soon. Repent saying something about big government. With corruption as rampant in government oversight, the right deposit can get you certified and up and running. I think the only way to know something is organic is to do what we all are trying to do. For those that are going commercial I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor but I don't believe organic just because the package says so.

eddiemigue
07-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Heheh. It's funny b/c many folks at work consider me a liberal. I consider myself a moderate and some so called conservatives at work (I don't believe that they practice a conservative lifestyle and parroting pundits does not carry much weight with me) just have an issue when I argue against some extreme and misguided statements that they make.

JCO
07-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Me, I just like to find a public servant that actually had the best interest of all American at heart and that didn't lie every time they opened their mouth. :shock: :o So which party is that? :? :mrgreen:

Roger L.
07-25-2013, 08:30 AM
That would be a die-hard Non-existent!

JCO
07-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Is that the party or the candidate :?: :mrgreen:

David - WI
07-25-2013, 09:30 AM
I think "organic" (as it currently exists) is a joke... the "standards" have been so perverted & convoluted that the word barely has meaning any more.

BUT... I do have to admit that 99% of the people that I talked to about aquaponics (our city council, the water & utility commission, potential customers, etc) say "Oooh, organic vegetables???"

So, I think there is some dollar/marketing value in being able to claim "organic"... but it's probably less value than the cost of actually being certified as organic.

smiley
07-30-2013, 05:26 PM
I think that the word "Aquaponic" is plenty good for people to accept your product as premium. I would not get the cert.I agree with Badger that as soon as people hear about how things are grown they say ' Organic'.
You don't need to pay or deal with 'OG' people to have a top market price. The product will sell at the same price.

winger4647
09-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Me, I just like to find a public servant that actually had the best interest of all American at heart and that didn't lie every time they opened their mouth. :shock: :o So which party is that? :? :mrgreen:

You R asking wayyyyyyy tooooo much! :| :lol: :lol: