PDA

View Full Version : New Back Yard System

GrillingNetwork
07-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I hope this is the right place to post and ask questions about my new setup. I have 2 275G IBC Totes ( 1 For the fish and the other for a Sump). The 2 Tops are for grow beds and are 12inches deep.
I placed my pump in the Sump Tank and is feeding the GrowBeds. The reason I chose this setup is so that the Fish Tank water level does not change (lower the stress on the fish).
The Fish Tank has 3 3/4PVC Drain Pipes back into the Sump. So the water only fluctuates in the Sump.
I am using a Bell Siphon in the GrowBeds and they drain into the Fish Tank.
I have 2 AirStones in the Fish Tank to add extra Oxygen and will have to verify if its enough.

I am doing a Fish less cycle and have been adding Pure Ammonia. Its been almost 2 weeks and I am seeing levels of Nitrite and Nitrate. I am also seeing larve (maybe Mosquito) and am worried. I added some 10 Gold Fish lastnight and they ate most of the Larve. Should I be concerned?

My other question is, with the location of my Pump. I have only seen people placing the pump in the fish tank. Is my setup ok?

Thanks
Allen

[attachment=1:2imtk6cm]backyard1.jpg[/attachment:2imtk6cm]

[attachment=0:2imtk6cm]backyard2.jpg[/attachment:2imtk6cm]

15mules
07-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Looks like a nice setup. I may would consider painting the tanks and getting a cover for them to cut down on the sun and the algae growth, algae blooms, then die offs, can fluctuate your oxygen levels quite a bit.
I am no expert on media bed setups, but it sounds to me like if your goldfish are living and eating the skeeter larvae you are doing something right, or else they would all be floating upside down.
I do not know why there would be a problem pumping water from your sump to your GB, but like I said I am no expert on these types of systems.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures, you may want to consider posting your general location in your profile, as sometimes your setup depends on your location and the weather conditions there. I live in Arkansas and what works for me may not work for, say someone in Maine or Arizona.

keith_r
07-18-2013, 11:12 AM
your setup is fine, but you may find that the 3/4" lines are not quite big enough when bioslime starts to build up...

i've found that going one size up from the largest your pump outlet has helps even distribution of water (if your pump has a 3/4" outlet, use 1" pipe to supply to your growbeds) but thats just me

looks good!

GrillingNetwork
07-18-2013, 12:07 PM
your setup is fine, but you may find that the 3/4" lines are not quite big enough when bioslime starts to build up...

i've found that going one size up from the largest your pump outlet has helps even distribution of water (if your pump has a 3/4" outlet, use 1" pipe to supply to your growbeds) but thats just me

looks good!

Thanks for the advice and for confirmation. I am almost ready to add Tilapia :)

GrillingNetwork
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Looks like a nice setup. I may would consider painting the tanks and getting a cover for them to cut down on the sun and the algae growth, algae blooms, then die offs, can fluctuate your oxygen levels quite a bit.
I am no expert on media bed setups, but it sounds to me like if your goldfish are living and eating the skeeter larvae you are doing something right, or else they would all be floating upside down.
I do not know why there would be a problem pumping water from your sump to your GB, but like I said I am no expert on these types of systems.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures, you may want to consider posting your general location in your profile, as sometimes your setup depends on your location and the weather conditions there. I live in Arkansas and what works for me may not work for, say someone in Maine or Arizona.

Painting was one of my next steps and putting a cover on the top of my tanks. I just went outside to check on my tank and cant find any of the Gold Fish that I added lastnight.

Thanks for the support!!

dead_sled
07-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe you need a "No fishing" sign.

keith_r
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
do you have an aerator?
are you "fishless cycling"? (have you added any ammonia?)

GrillingNetwork
07-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Maybe you need a "No fishing" sign.

Yes I was thinking of that :P

GrillingNetwork
07-18-2013, 01:40 PM
do you have an aerator?
are you "fishless cycling"? (have you added any ammonia?)

Yes I have a Dual Port Aerator and have place a Stone in each Tank (Fish Tanks and Sump)

I started off using a Fishless Cycle but once my levels started dropping, I wanted to test the waters (no pun) with cheap Gold Fish before introducing more expensive fish.

~Allen

15mules
07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Fish do initially sink, before they float!!!!!

Roger L.
07-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Notice any fat birds around? Your cover could take care of that. Some of those little fish can jump pretty good. I moved a couple of my guppies into my duckweed container and they jumped 3" up and over the side.

GrillingNetwork
07-18-2013, 08:49 PM

I was afraid of that :)

urbanfarmer
07-18-2013, 09:59 PM

I was afraid of that :)
They don't always float after they sink. :twisted:

GrillingNetwork
07-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Well the water finally started to clear up this morning and I can now see moving fish :)
Thank for the words of encouragement :)

15mules
07-19-2013, 09:19 AM
That is why we are here to provide encouragement! Well that, and to point out mistakes people make too!!!!!

Roger L.
07-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Good to hear you found your fish. They can be tough little guys sometimes. Keep us posted Allen.

15mules, be careful how big a finger you put out there pointing out mistakes, your about to build and you know what they say about payback.......LOL :lol:

JCO
07-20-2013, 07:07 AM
And my Grandmother always told me pointing was rude :lol: :mrgreen:

15mules
07-20-2013, 07:52 AM
I hear you Roger, But I would certainly like someone to point out a mistake earlier on when It still can be fixed relatively inexpensively, than to say nothing, and let me find all my fish floating one morning.

GrillingNetwork
07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I hear you Roger, But I would certainly like someone to point out a mistake earlier on when It still can be fixed relatively inexpensively, than to say nothing, and let me find all my fish floating one morning.

Great Point!! Thats the other reason why I am using cheap Gold Fish :)

I am now trying to tweak my system before getting Tilapia.

I noticed my grow bed is not level and am thinking its part of the reason why my Bell Siphon is not working as I think it should. Its taking almost 30 minutes to cycle. Its taking a long time for it to stop and I am thinking because of it not being level might have something to do with it. I am also rebuilding my Bell Siphon to include a TUBE coming off of the top to aide in the Siphoning. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

JCO
07-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Is the bell siphon on the low end? If so then the reason it's slow draining is because of the size of your drain pipe. :mrgreen:

GrillingNetwork
07-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Is the bell siphon on the low end? If so then the reason it's slow draining is because of the size of your drain pipe. :mrgreen:

aint that the story of my life :)

Yes it is on the low end and I am thinking thats the main problem. I am going to level off my beds before moving on the making new Siphons.

Thanks for the advice...

JCO
07-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Being on the low end will not have an effect on how long it takes to drain...that's the drain size causing the slow drain...but yes it should be leveled :mrgreen:

15mules
07-22-2013, 04:32 PM
So, how is that leveling coming along??

Aloha Don
07-22-2013, 06:32 PM
I am not an expert but what size pump are you using to pump water from the sump to the GB?
Size can matter in this case...can you increase the flow to cause the siphon to kick in sooner? This may cause it to break cleaner also.
Just my thoughts...

GrillingNetwork
07-22-2013, 09:11 PM
So, how is that leveling coming along??

I was able to level off my grow beds by adding cinder blocks underneath. Now on to the Siphoning :)

GrillingNetwork
07-22-2013, 09:14 PM
I am not an expert but what size pump are you using to pump water from the sump to the GB?
Size can matter in this case...can you increase the flow to cause the siphon to kick in sooner? This may cause it to break cleaner also.
Just my thoughts...
I am using a Rio+ 2100 and it pumps 700 GPH, I think its plenty. I reduced the flow with a valve and have got the beds leveled. I now am looking at making new bell siphons and think I am Golden :)

JCO
07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't know what design you are using, but this is the spot to get it right:-

http://www.affnanaquaponics.com/2010/02/affnans-valve-detailed-explanations-of_9459.html :mrgreen:

GrillingNetwork
07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know what design you are using, but this is the spot to get it right:-

http://www.affnanaquaponics.com/2010/02/affnans-valve-detailed-explanations-of_9459.html :mrgreen:

Dude that is deep!! Thanks for the link and I will be giving it a thorough read :)

~Allen

keith_r
07-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Just my thoughts...
I am using a Rio+ 2100 and it pumps 700 GPH, I think its plenty. I reduced the flow with a valve and have got the beds leveled. I now am looking at making new bell siphons and think I am Golden :)

regarding "reducing the flow" - this puts unnecessary strain on the pump.. (and possibly shorten it's life)
here's a simple solution.. add a "T" above the pump but before the growbed, direct a line back into the fish tank with a spray bar - this will add aeration, and if you have a round tank, a centripedal flow which will direct solids to the middle (if that's where your slo is)
add 1 more valve to adjust the flow in your spray bar and your good to go

JCO
07-25-2013, 12:26 AM
OK, we're waiting...how's the siphon construction coming...photos please. :mrgreen: