PDA

View Full Version : Left over gold fish food

sgudger
07-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Guys I have some left over goldfish food will this be ok for my tilopia to eat and also what is the best thing to feed the fish ? ......other than stuff like duckweed . Give me a good list please .

keith_r
07-17-2013, 06:27 AM
fish food made for omnivores, protein in the 33-38% range..
purina, and silver cup are the only two i am familiar with..
look for feed mills in your area, or the purina website will locate a dealer near you after you input your zip code...
better quality feed=better fish and plant growth, it's ok to supplement with duckweed etc

sgudger
07-17-2013, 09:15 AM
The food I got has 46%protein made with fish mill I got it from Walmart …is that ok ?

15mules
07-17-2013, 10:16 AM
I would check at a local farmers co-op or Tractor Supply or similar feed store. You should be able to buy something like a floating catfish food, that would be in range, as far as protein, etc. and it will probably be considerably cheaper than anything Walmart is selling. The only down side ( if it really is one) is that it will probably come in a 50# bag.

sgudger
07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
What's it called ?

15mules
07-17-2013, 11:16 AM
What's what called??

If you mean the floating catfish food, that is what it is called "floating catfish food" I am sure there is more than one company that makes it, as far as brands go. I always just ask for a bag of floating catfish food. Where I live here in Arkansas there is a big commercial catfish industry and many people have stock ponds with catfish etc. stocked in them, just for sport. All of the feed stores and co-ops carry some brand of floating catfish feed. May be different where you live, where ever that is??

sgudger
07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Ok thanks I didn't know if it was a brand name to ask for thanks for your help

JCO
07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Before I gave all mine away (approx. 200 ranging in lengths from a couple inches to 10 inches) to a local gated community with a huge children's fishing pond (they got a Fl. permit to have them in the pond) I fed them the same food as my KOI. MAZURI KOI FOOD 33% protein and they did great...almost ate me out of house and home. :mrgreen: