PDA

View Full Version : 1st Green House Build

dbabuddy
07-14-2013, 06:21 PM
here are some pics of my current project. roof is 16ft cattle panels, ends are scrap 2x6 from some shipping crates. I will be putting the plastic on the roof later next month, plan on moving my tilapia out next week. dimensions are 12ft wide x 16ft long almost 8ft tall at center. Any suggestion are appreciated.

JCO
07-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Looking very good and expertly DIY done. American ingenuity can't be beat no matter how you cut it. Keep us up to date and the photos coming. 8-) :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
07-15-2013, 03:19 AM
WOW, simply amazing! Great work, great pictures!

dead_sled
07-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Great looking build. How is the sun exposure in that location? The trees are pretty close. Are they providing shelter or shade?

Nice work on using what is available to build what you need. I dig it! Just another reminder that there is no one size fits all solution for AP, or anything for that matter. I am staying tuned for more updates.

15mules
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Lookin good, I do not know where you are located?? But do you have any plans for winterizing it come fall??? I see the wood looks like it is directly on the ground any concerns for termites. Here in Arkansas the termites would have it eat up in a year or two if it is directly on the ground. look forward to seeing more pictures.

There will be more, right????

dbabuddy
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Trees are on the north side, full sun on south side, bottom boards are treated. I plan on caulking the seams as soon as I get all the boards up. Then I will trim the excess off the ends to make almost flush with cattle panels. I will be ordering the wiggle wire channel next, and then the plastic for the roof. Will post a few pics in the coming weeks

15mules
07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
db,
I would certainly like some info on how your filter system is plumbed and works when you get time. maybe a picture of the plumbing connections in the blue barrels. Any filter media in there??
Thanks

eddiemigue
07-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Nicely done! I have a hoop house that I built out of cattle panels that are arched to the ground and secured by 2'x6' boards. Wiggle wire is good stuff, and what I have used to secure the plastic. Mine is a cool month setup, and I remove the plastic over the warm months, for aesthetic reasons, and to keep heat down.

I also use the rubbermaid stock tanks for my FT (150gal, not 300gal like yours), but my setup is in my garage, and not in the hoophouse. Interesting to see someone use similar/same materials with a different design. I look forward to future updates. Much success!

dbabuddy
07-16-2013, 05:44 PM
no media in filters yet, plan on using lava rock and some furnace type filters. Leak checking the system and cleaning it out. here are a few pics of the filters. hope that helps

Aloha Don
07-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Looks good.
Growbed info??

JCO
09-25-2013, 12:55 AM
OK, we realize summer has gotten away from us and was very busy trying to get it all put together...now, we've been waiting patiently for the results...so it's time for an update and some good photos of what's happening now :!: :mrgreen:

FloridaChris
09-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Photos! Photos! Photos!