PDA

View Full Version : Reconsidering mozambiques???

15mules
07-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Ok, I had been looking for some fish for my AP system in Northern Arkansas. I decided on Tilapia and I found some Mozambique's at a reasonable price, reasonably closest to home. All set right?? Wrong. Then I decided to keep researching and now I am not so sure? Everywhere I read it seems to show that they are less cold tolerant than other Tilapia breeds and that they are smaller, thus providing a less desirable fish for consumption. Everything seems to point to the Blues or the Niles as "THE" fish for AP. My question is how much difference is there in reality? Yes, fish can be changed out, I understand that, but I do not want to invest in them if they really are inferior to the Nile or Blue. Or is this just a case of preference, like Ford or Chevy???
I am really hoping to hear from someone with experience with both. Do you really see a growth rate difference or a size difference, under the same conditions with the different species? Is one really going to die at 60 while the other lives to 58, or is there cold tolerance different enough to really matter??
Thanks,

JCO
07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Welcome to the forum and to get all your questions answered and give you a source to get a Tilapia that will fit your bill, check out this site

http://tilapiasource.com/

You will be able to read all about each breed and maybe a few you didn't know about and make your own choice. If you are looking for a cold tolerant fish, consider Hybrid Striped Bass. They are even better tasting than Tilapia...only draw back is you have to buy fingerlings.

I, myself, raise Japanese KOI. There are cold tolerant and are far more valuable, but that's me. :mrgreen:

15mules
07-07-2013, 01:40 PM
JCO,
Thanks for the link. I had actually looked there, before I found these particular Mozzies. The guy with the Mozzies nearby is older and wanting to quit raising fish, so he has offered to sell me everything (equip. included). This was why I really considered them. From everything I have read, I really like the Nile or the RM Whites?
I guess my big question is does the 60 degree water really mater, besides insurance ( in case you forget to warm the water)?? I mean, if a person is trying to run a AP for profit system, it seems letting the water get that cold in the winter would also slow the plant growth, or stop it, during the time of year when the produce should be the most profitable, or marketable (when no one else has any)
My plan is to also be able to sell some fish for AP systems, pond stocking etc. Both the Nile and the Mozzie are legal here. Stipped bass is in all the lakes here also, never really considered them?. The big draw to the Tilapia for me was the ease of breeding (comparatively speaking). I am now thinking, get the Mozzies and simply breed out of them if they do not work out? But I know that will also waste resources (also known as money to some) and possibly some time.
Ah, if only it was simple (I know then everyone would do it) after all, if it was easy, it would not be work right!!

davidstcldfl
07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Your right, you have to keep the water warm for the plants. Things like lettuces and spinach would like cooler water.
Don't forget about the bactreria. They have to have warm enough water to stay alive and to grow too. Off the top of my head, I'd say 'at least' the high 50's.

I've seen blues survive to the low 50's. The key is for the water to drop in temp 'slowly'....and no to stay therer for extended periods.
Remeber...I'm in central FL. Even here, heating, at times, is necesarray. I know several folks that started with tilapia, and are or have switched to other fish.

15mules
07-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I have pretty high hopes for salad greens during the winter, but I am really hoping for good growth in Collard greens or Mustard Greens, Turnip greens i would also be happy with. Remember we are down south and these things are local favorites, usually only available and affordable in the spring and fall. If I could make them available in mid winter,I think it would be a valuable product.
I really intend to keep this thing producing year round, so I just do not think I will be able to meet my goals, if I allow the water temp to dip low enough that it would be deadly for the fish. Having said that. Tim Mann said he acquired some blues from the University in Hawaii and they actually died due to low water temp., where as, what he thinks are a Nile variant fish, were still alive. I guess I am still not really convinced there is that much true pedigree to the Tilapia anymore, maybe I am ignorant on them, But I sure see a lot of contradicting info. on the web and in articles about water temp die off level and such.
Thanks