PDA

View Full Version : Sand filter questions...

tmcmaster
07-01-2013, 05:33 AM
So, I was reworking my basement system, and trying to install a fluidized sand filter, but ran into a few issues. It seems that the water from my radial flow filter is NOT draining into the sump, where this sand filter lives. The filter itself is constructed of a 10 gallon glass aquarium with about 2-3 inches of sand, followed by 4 inches of 1/4 - 1/2 inch river stone. (See image) The inflow pipe is 1 inch PVC.

[attachment=0:2zc5e586]Sand filter.jpg[/attachment:2zc5e586]

Some questions I have:

Is it possible that without a constant inflow of water, the sand could be clogging the in pipe?[/*:m:2zc5e586]
Is the vessel I am using possibly to blame? (The 10 gallon aquarium)[/*:m:2zc5e586]
Should the entire sand filter NOT be below the water level of the sump itself. (Sump tank is 3/4 of a 55 gallon drum)[/*:m:2zc5e586]
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

keith_r
07-01-2013, 05:48 AM
how are you "fluidizing" the sand? this is usually accomplished by pumping a pretty good volume of air through the sand, usually under pressure....(how is the layer of sand separated from the river stone?)
sand won't work in a media bed, it will clog and have anaerobic, or dead zones..
look up "Moving Bed Biofilter" - basically the same idea as a sand filter.. (or look at pool sand filters) for how it should work..
so it sounds like you're looking for some additional filtration..you should start with a radial flow filter or swirl filter out of your ft to remove a majority of the solids, second stage is usually using some media, like netting, or mattalla matts, after that folks look to "polish" the water with a mbb or cetus type sieve

tmcmaster
07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
I am guessing that I used 'fluidized sand filter' incorrectly, then... :(

There was nothing separating the river stone from the sand. The actual media bed was/is hydroton. The sand filter was sitting inside of the sump tank, and the pump was outside of the sand filter, in the sump tank, which pumped directly to grow beds...

I actually am running a radial flow filter before the sump tank.

Thanks!

JCO
07-21-2013, 01:12 PM
If nothing is separating the sand from the stone and you start pumping from the bottom...the sand will quickly become Quick Sand and the stone will eventually sink into the sand. :mrgreen:

dead_sled
07-23-2013, 07:32 AM
I work in automation. Specifically, automating water supply systems for municipalities. Some systems have a sand filter. The water is usually pumped through the sand into a small storage vessel. Then a second set of pumps, pump the water into the main storage tank (water tower, ground tank, etc.). You may not have the pressure to force the water through the sand.

JCO
07-25-2013, 12:27 AM
OK, how about an update and photos please. :mrgreen: