PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Freshwater Shrimp?

lilly
06-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi,
We have been reading up on aquaponic systems and raising tilapia or shrimp for about a year. We want to attempt to raise shrimp in a back yard pond first over a summer and gradually build from there each year, adding plant systems, tilapia and eventually a greenhouse. What I have not been able to find is what to feed the shrimp. Some of what I read suggested they scavenge the tilapia waste for food so in a full aquaponic system with both and plants you don't need shrimp food. But if we do just a shrimp pond first we obviously have to feed the shrimp.

I found some commercial shrimp feed pellets online made by Purina but I had concerns what could be in that and if we really want to be feeding that. It could have additives or loads of GMO soybeans etc and maybe not the best option. But I couldn't find either an organic type shrimp food or a solution such as home made or left over foods etc.

If we purchase fry from somewhere do we need to feed something different than what we would feed as they matured a bit?

David - WI
06-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Google "aquacultureoftexas"... Craig will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about prawns.

keith_r
06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
i would use the purina feed.. these are made to provide the best growth/health, and the side benefit is that it contains the nutrients your plants need.. supplement with frozen peas, and cuttings from your growbeds (you may have to experiment to see what leaves they like - gammarus go crazy over zuchini leaves.. whoda thunk it)
i'm not sure about protein %'s for shrimp, but for most fish/crustacea in the fry stage, i would use high protein (over 50%)

dead_sled
06-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Google "aquacultureoftexas"... Craig will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about prawns.

^^^ interesting site. Lots of information with a DIY attitude. Also, the prawns sure look tasty! :mrgreen:

JCO
06-17-2013, 11:04 PM
First off where do you live, did you build the pond, how big is the pond, how deep is the pond, how is water fed to the pond and what is the pond lined with or is it dirt?

These are all questions that need to be answered before a educated guess can be given on raising shrimp.

Don't forget that birds feed on anything aquatic so you will have to have a way of keeping them at bay.

As for the food, in a seasoned dirt pond, you would not have to feed the shrimp much of anything as they will live off the aquatic critters in the water and mud. Otherwise I agree with Keith_r on food.

Also remember that prawns are aggressive and territorial and need lots of room or they will kill and eat each other.

Also Tilapia are carnivorous during adolescence and will readily kill and eat your shrimp.

If your are in a state that allows Australian Red Claw Crayfish, they would be a better choice to raise. :mrgreen: