PDA

View Full Version : Automatically draining water

rangebob
06-16-2013, 04:18 AM
I know that I posted this before but can't find it even under my account.

We have been having a very wet month so far. I've had to drain off several hundred gallons of water from the fish tank due to the rain. I'm pulling water from it to water potted plants in the front yard but not making a dent when I'm in the flooded stage. What is everybody using to drain off water in the tank? I want something to happen automatically. Would a bilge pump work to drain off the water?

eddiemigue
06-16-2013, 05:41 AM
How about an overflow drain set above your water height to a holding tank to soaker hoses to your soil plantings? You could place a valve at the holding tank outlet to delay watering until you may need it.

Aloha Don
06-27-2013, 08:25 PM
If it is that wet...why not just cover your FT and GB to minimize the intake of water.
Constant inflow of water could wash away vital nutrients that you are trying to build up and keep in your system.
just my initial thoughts...

Roger L.
06-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Wouldn't a standard household sump pump take care of that problem. Just pipe to a 55 gal. drum and use it in the dry months. Sump pumps are pretty cheap. Just a thought.

JCO
06-27-2013, 10:15 PM
This idea, unlike a sump pump does not use electricity

How about an overflow drain set above your water height to a holding tank to soaker hoses to your soil plantings? You could place a valve at the holding tank outlet to delay watering until you may need it. :mrgreen: