PDA

View Full Version : My roof top system

Tanktotable
06-14-2013, 08:09 AM
These tests are of the past two weeks. The thing is this system is on my roof. and its not covered. So when it rains that water gets into my system. I have found that naturally the system goes down in PH but the rain water bring the PH up. Its a 200 gallon system all together. 45 gallon fish tank with a raft system of 16 plants of basil and a siphon pump of 500 pounds of gravel next to it. I planted two tomato plants that were all ready 1 foot tall. They arent doing to well. I might take them out.

I cycled the system with pure ammonia without the fish and after two weeks I put in 15 gold fish. They seem super happy and the plants are looking good. Their roots are growing like crazy but the plants arent growing as fast as I thought they would. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it ok that my Nitrite keeps rising? what are natural ways of fixing the problems? Thanks in advance.

-Zac

eddiemigue
06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
If you have only been running the system a couple of weeks, you probably aren't cycled yet, and you will see a rise in nitrites until then. Keep taking measurements, and cut back on feeding if ammonian/nitrites rise too much. You may also want to salt the system to mitigate agains excessive nitrites.

keith_r
06-14-2013, 10:30 AM
right.. you aren't cycled yet.. nitrites can kill your fish.. salt to 3ppt to try to save the fish from brown blood disease
don't feed until the numbers come down on ammonia and nitrites.. the fish will easily last without food... but not with high ammonia and nitrites

Tanktotable
06-14-2013, 12:28 PM
use actual salt??

keith_r
06-14-2013, 01:52 PM
pool salt.. or i use water softener (pure) salt.. i would not use table salt..

JCO
06-14-2013, 06:35 PM
You can buy actual SEA SALT grocery store...that is best...no chemicals of any kind and is natural :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
06-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Hey Zac, you may already know... ;)
1 lb of salt per 125 gallons = 1 ppt

urbanfarmer
06-15-2013, 09:41 AM
the anaerobic area in your system needs to have more water flow or aeration

Tanktotable
06-19-2013, 07:08 AM
thanks guys. Urban Farmer. I have 15 2 inch fish in a 45 gallon tank