PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Albatross
05-04-2013, 02:02 PM
My system seems to be running well. I have installed a swirl filter and that keeps the water CLEAR. But I have a problem! My tomato plants are turning into a jungle and so far just my cilantro is turning yellow and brown. I have had to throw away 2 plants already.

Albatross
05-04-2013, 02:02 PM
What am I missing?

eddiemigue
05-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Have you strung up or staked the tomatoes? If you have overgrowth of the tomatoes, you can prune the lower branches off (anything under the latest flower/fruit cluster cab go). This will thin out a lot of the foliage and allow air and light to the rest of your GB. I am assuming that you have indeterminate types. This is what I typically grow and I string them up and prune them to one main stem, which keeps the plant productive, healthy, and neat. I used to not prune when I first started with tomatoes and they became a mess of vines and were more susceptible to fungal disease.

davidstcldfl
05-04-2013, 04:45 PM
On the tomatoes....ditto what eddiemigue said.
Prune them...break off almost all of the suckers. With the heat and humidity in TX, they need air movement. Otherwise you'll have lots of disease.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-videotomat ... omatoSeeds (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-videotomatopruning.aspx?source=TomatoSeeds)

Cilantro....(can you post pictures ?)
-It may be getting too warm (in TX) for it...?
-It may need some iron. (your PH should be around 6.8-7)
-Check your local hydro shops for 'maxi-crop with iron'.

Albatross
05-05-2013, 07:31 AM
I have tried the sucker thing and trimmed them a foot above the media. And still only a few flowers and ALOT of jungle. Lol

Albatross
05-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I have also had to pull 2 of my cilantro plant cause they were dead.

davidstcldfl
05-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Albatross, what is your PH ? If the PH is ok.....you 'may be' low in iron. I don't think that alone, would take out your cilantro (?)

I'm looking at the (melon ?) vine right behind your cilantro in the 3rd picture. You can see it looks pale and the veins are really noticeable....especially the newer leaves.

The basil looks good. Keep an eye on it's 'new' leaves....you may notice them getting more pale with the veins showing.

As far as the tomatoes....don't stand too close to them for any amount of time....they might not let go of you..... :P :lol:

JCO
07-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Albatross, what happened with your systems. Also, all you photos are now missing on your post. You disappeared without a word. Let us know if all is well. :mrgreen: