PDA

View Full Version : Type of fish to use

davidc56
04-22-2013, 04:14 AM
I am just getting started with this. I notice a lot of system are using Tilapla for fish. I have found in Texsit is illegal to import or own Tilapia. My guestion is what type of other fish would be a good choice? Useing a 250 gal tank.

keith_r
04-22-2013, 05:32 AM
overton fish in TX has tilapia that are legal (Mozambique Tilapia)
catfsih are good, bluegill work.. what kind of fish do you like?

davidc56
04-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Thank you I will check that out. As far as what I like I'm not to sure.

Ike016
04-24-2013, 05:43 AM
David,

I will be in Odessa within the month and looking to start a system there. Would love to talk to you and see what is working for you and we can compare notes. I am looking to use a raft system to grow some stuff and did not know about the tilapia issue in Texas. If this is fact then I am thinking catfish is what I will go with.

JCO
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
For info on fish feasable to use in an Aquaponic system, check out http://www.diyaquaponics.com/aquaponics-aquatic-animals/ :mrgreen:

Ike016
04-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Went ahead and sent an email to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to see what they require for Tilapia. Will post response.

Ike016
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Here is what I got back from Texas Parks and Wildlife:

If it's just for personal use, you can possess Mozambique tilapia
without having to get an Exotic Species Permit.

If you want to raise a different species, or plan to sell fish at any
point, you'll need some permits. See the attached document for details.
You can find a downloadable application form for the Exotic Species
Permit (PWD-1026) on this web page:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publication ... oat/forms/ (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/fishboat/forms/)

davidc56
04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Great information, I tried to call TPWL office in San Angelo to talk to there fish biologist but had to leave message.
But it looks like you have answered my question. Thanks

Ike016
04-25-2013, 10:54 PM
If you get a link on a good place to buy in TX, link it. I will do the same. Thanks.

foodchain
04-26-2013, 01:25 PM
You get the Mozambique Tilapia from Overton near Buffalo,TX right off the highway. They ARE legal in TX without a permit with no problems. OR if you are around San Antonio, just go fishing. The state has released them in the waterways there and there are plenty.
Otherwise, a good cheap alternative is any of the many sunfish family we have around here, small "bullhead" in the ditches/ponds. Looks like a small catfish, only gets about 2-3 lbs. That's one of my favorites. Crawfish don't do well in AP by themselves, least ways not the red LA type ones they farm. They have to come out of the water to complete cycle and that's a problem in the AP system. Plus you have to have a lot of them to yeild enough waste product to make the plants grow. The marbkreb ones are good though, as well as freshwater malasian prawns....but they are territorial and need lots of space. You can get those in Weatherford from the hatchery. Guy there knows his stuff for sure! Catfish will work too, but the get big fast and if you contain them in small environments you end up with a variety of health issues.

Ike016
04-26-2013, 02:53 PM
FC are you harvesting your Tilapia for personal use? Thanks for all the info, sad thing for me is that I am in the middle of no where as far as most resources go for AP. One thing for sure is that learning all this will hopefully spawn some AP farmers out here in the desert.

JCO
04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Foodchain,

OK, thought you were gone... Missed your expertise and wisdom...are you back to stay or just passing through? :mrgreen:

foodchain
04-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Not sure if staying or going. I did leave, tore everything down and sold it off. The addiction has brought me back. Not sure just how big I am going to go this time. I filed my two week notice today at my job, and have another pending, just hanging to see if my current office wants me to stay and fullfill the notice or walks me out. Got a new baby girl....and roofing a house. So times are very busy. I consume all the tilapia I have, or feed them to the catfish in the pond. Nothing grows big fish faster, than feeding them little forage fish.

JCO
04-30-2013, 09:55 PM
I see from your signature, you are a fan of Abraham Lincoln. I usually just go ahead and run my mouth, that way there is no doubt about me or where I stand. :lol:

Not sure if staying or going. I did leave, tore everything down and sold it off. The addiction has brought me back. Not sure just how big I am going to go this time.

Well, I for one am glad to have you back, addiction and all. :? As for how big to go, set up the biggest F/T or dig the biggest pond (lined with plastic) you can and don't worry about the grow beds until you are done with it. As for the grow beds, build them as you have time...no rush as long as you have plenty of water....that's the most important thing.

I filed my two week notice today at my job, and have another pending.

Where's the new job? I thought at one time you were moving to Missouri.

Got a new baby girl....
Congratulations PaPa...my one and only child, a boy, will be 25 in October. I miss having him around when he was little, we had such great times together. Back then Dad was everything, now I'm just old and missing him.

Be sure to enjoy every moment of that little one's life while you have her...all too soon she will be off on her own.

Again, welcome back. :mrgreen:

foodchain
05-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Missouri was in the making, but fell through almost as fast as the opportunity came into our lives.
With kids, I find if I waited till I could afford them, I would never have them. IF I work the hours I need to get the life I want them to have, I don't have time to see them. IF I spend the time on them, then I have to say NO to things they want, vacations, etc. I remind myself though, it's not the toys they will remember when I am dead and gone.

I have 4 kids now, and am sole bread winner. With change comes risk, but opportunity.

I have already started construction on a MASSIVE, at least for me AP project. I doubt though it will be completed this year. That's the bad news. Good news, it takes up most of my property and incorporates vertical gardening. I am designing and indoor system as well utilizing Discus fish as the nutrient source....testing a commercial protype there.

In last 2 years research it's become apparant that food fish as nutrient source do not have enough cash viability to support AP system. Food fish are great for the moral superiority, but do nothing for paying the bills.....not too many rich hippies. So...my highest yeild financially was the Prawns...but Discus have a much larger margin. And with my aquaculture background, they are not as challenging to keep as maybe for the beginner. I will keep you updated on that as time permits.

The honey business has exploded as well. I increased our units this year by more than 600%. It's a risk, but with very high return forecasted. Time will tell if this is a "blue sky" calculation or serious $'s. I will know by fall. But farming is farming. Nothing is guaranteed. We shall see.

foodchain
05-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I have run some esperiments, from old old arguements on here, and once I finish my conclusions I will post them here. Not to reopen old arguements, but to share my results.
I am a fan of logic and first hand experience.
Sometimes things work, when science sais it shouldn't. When chemistry says no.....Yet I don't know why, and I may never.