PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

DrAquala
04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Hello all...

This forum is a great find for information as I start the first aquaponics build!

I have been running a hydroponics for some while now so have got the basics with nutrients and systems, but I'm keen to develop my skills in the area of aquaponics and have just completed the building of a growbed complete with a correctly functioning siphone, so now need to get it ready for action.

I currently have a well established fish pond (slightly bigger than the GB) with 6 large goldfish in it which I want to use as the nutrient souce. After reading up on cycling I was wondering if it is possible to connect my growbed directly to the pond at this point - with the goldfish in it - without causing harm to them. If this isn't possible, do I get the cycling done and then somehow "switch" to the goldish pond?

Thanks in advance.

JCO
04-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the best DIY Aquaponics forum anywhere...now then, if the goldfish are in the pond and you are going to use water from the pond...leave the goldfish where they are and start your system running the water first to a sump if possible to allow the solids and particulates to settle, the to a bio-filter for nitrification and then to the grow bed and then back to the pond.

I would go ahead and put in the media and some veggies. You should be OK since the fish are in a pond, there should be enough nitrates to start growing your veggies right away.

Now that I have said all that, go to your profile and put in you location just in case there are members close by and then get out your camera and start documenting your built and the finally put them on here so we can see what and how you did it all :mrgreen:

DrAquala
04-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks JCO ...

So there is a fair bit that I will have to do to get started! I have seen some info on making a bio filter out of a bucket and some sponges/pot scourers so may I will have to give that a go. The pond is fairly clean so will I need to use a sump? Is a bio filter absolutely necessary or is it not possible to pump water straight to the growbeds?

Also, I have an indoor aquarium - should I grab the sponges and wash them in the GB/pond to get the process started?

Cheers

JCO
04-20-2013, 10:06 PM
The pond may be clean, but you will get some floating debris and particulates when you pump the water out. A sump is for stopping those from getting to the bio-filter and yes, you do need a bio-filter to do the nitrification to change the ammonia to nitrites then to nitrates which is what the plants use. You can put some of the filter materials from your aquarium in the bio-filter, that will help get the nitrification going.

Don't forget to do an avatar of your choice....show your personality or whatever:mrgreen:

jackalope
04-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you here :!: :!: