PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Central New York

AnastaciaW
04-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Well I just started to research aquaponics. I want to start my own system but I have no clue where to start. I currently live in a small apartment complex as well. When I do move out of the apartment I want to make a large system where I can grow a fair amount of fruits and vegetables as well as grow catfish since I love deep fried catfish.

keith_r
04-18-2013, 05:08 AM
consider starting with a 55 gallon fish tank, and some home made growbeds, and you can start learning about ap using ornamental fish, and growing greens and spices for your kitchen.. i'm using regular flourescent lights indoors and greens have grown very well
by the time you're ready to move, you'll know how to test your water, and what to look for, and probably have several designs in mind

jackalope
04-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Glad you're here!

Aloha Don
04-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Welcome. indoor AP has its own challenges (lighting, asthetics, etc) so start small and go through the steps needed for testing and maintaining the system and soon you too will be addicted. Then we want to see your ideas and hear about your AP experiences.
Looking forward to seeing more.

AnastaciaW
04-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Thank you all. I did have a 20 gallon fish tank with 3 goldfish but. My family deiced it would be better to give them to the local Chinese restaurant that has a Koi pond. The gold fish are huge now in the Koi pond.

JCO
08-05-2013, 12:14 AM
So how old are you? :mrgreen:

Roger L.
08-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest you start by reading "Aquaponics 101" and the sites book "DIY Aquaponics". Then start big or small but use the guidelines you have learned and ask questions as you go along. You will always find a people willing to help.

eddiemigue
08-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Welcome.