PDA

View Full Version : need good book on fish sellection

machinemaker
04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
I am still in the planning stages and have a lot of questions on fish. I would love to do tilapia but with to cold winters here heating would be difficult. Where can I find information of a variety of fish, what they need and like and all the other questions.
Thanks,
kent

Basil1
04-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Your best bet might be to see what is native to the area and look up individual info from there.

jackalope
04-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Glad you're here :!: :!: !

JCO
04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Not to tout "The Original DIY Aquaponics Guide Book.....only a $4.97 tax deductible donation" but I have info in there on the most popular fish used in Aquaponics. :mrgreen:

keith_r
04-18-2013, 10:38 AM
howdy neighbor, i'm in northeast ohio, right on lake erie, with an system in my basement..
i've got yellow perch, bluegill, tilapia, crayfish and minnows.. all but the tilapia would make it through the winter as long as you provide aeration and some filtration.. the fish will become less active (ever fished a frozen pond?) they still eat occasionally but don't produce as much waste
catfish should do well, i haven't grow them because my wife is allergic to them
if you can get a system up this year, you could grow out tilapia and harvest in the fall when your water gets to about 50f, if you have perch with the tilapia, the perch will keep the baby tilapia in check