PDA

View Full Version : Pond Water

andrwplsn
04-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Would using pond water make the initial cycle on a new system faster?

moe
04-07-2013, 02:37 AM
im no expert but its logical to think it will since the ammonia is present from the fish waste and where theres ammonia theres bacteria also if you have some "shallow water rocks " on the outskirts of the pond they may also help

badflash
04-07-2013, 05:58 AM
No, it would bring in more problems than it is worth. Lots of bad hitch hickers. Best bet is to clean out a filter from a healthy aquarium. Been doing this for years.

jackalope
04-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Lots of bad hitch hickers.
That would be my biggest concern ..... any strange water that has been exposed to the outdoors, whether it be pond water or rain water can harbor a lot of unwanted guests - a lot of 'bugs' can use that water for laying eggs, etc.. If you must use it, make sure it has been boiled or treated in some way (Chlorine bleach?) or something to kill those unwanted guests :!: If you clorinate, it only takes a few minutes to de-chlorinate with film developer .....

or ascorbic acid (Vitamin C in powdered form, available at most health food stores)
Clik ;) (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?118-removing-chlorine-from-tap-water-with-Vitamin-C)

- OR, in the alternative, let the water stand for 24 hours and the Chlorine will evaporate. I like to avoid these chemical 'miracle cures' for killing the hitch-hikers :mrgreen:

Just my 2 centavos ........