PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3/6 imbalance in the fish.

Optimus
04-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Has anyone addressed this issue? Too me this is serious enough to determine whether or not I pursue aquaponics, although of course I understand that when hungry enough one will eat just about anything. Plus, the vegetables are fine.

Farmed fish do not have the correct balance or so I've been told so is it possible to adjust the feed to correct this or is it an environmental factor that can't be replicated?

Sorry if already addressed I just signed on and don't see a search field.

Some may see this as trivial but I can assure you some of us do not.

Optimus
04-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Ok, I found the search field. Sorry...

badflash
04-06-2013, 06:16 AM
This is a really easy matter to deal with. Why is it so important in fish and not in beef, chicken or anything else? Most of what you are reading is dis-information by the meat industry.

The 3/6 ratio is controlled by what they eat. Suppliment in foods high in the right omega, it goes into the fish. Crap in, crap out, good stuff in, good stuff out.

dead_sled
04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
This is a really easy matter to deal with. Why is it so important in fish and not in beef, chicken or anything else? Most of what you are reading is dis-information by the meat industry.

Omega 3/6 ratios are important in all meat that we eat. Many experts are showing that high omega 6 maybe the cause of the inflammatory diseases (heart, arthritis, cancer, etc). This comes from animals that eat grain, especially in high amounts. Grain, especially corn, causes this. Pasture raised and grass fed is what I prefer for chicken, pork, and beef. I haven't found a good source of pastured fish yet. Feed as close to the natural diet as possible and everything will be as it should. 8-)

The 3/6 ratio is controlled by what they eat. Suppliment in foods high in the right omega, it goes into the fish. Crap in, crap out, good stuff in, good stuff out.

^^X2

jackalope
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
I haven't found a good source of pastured fish yet.

:lol: :lol:

badflash
04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Camelina sativa meal added to fish feed does the trick. There is a tread on this.