PDA

View Full Version : Aquanewbie here

reason54321
04-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Hello everybody. Ive been kind of fascinated with the idea of aquaponics,since I first heard about it a few months ago. Hoping to meet some Experienced people here, and gain some more knowledge on the subject. Hope to get at least a small barrel system going soon.

Elronmaynard
04-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Welcome, this is the recent advice I got when starting up.

Welcome! Read loads. Ask lots of questions. Avoid gold fish or feeders to start.

It should serve you well. I hope you find aquaponics as fulfilling as I.

Aloha Don
04-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Avoid goldfish or feeders?
I am fairly new to this but is seems to get the system cycled without using expensive fish or chemicals, this would be the way to go.
Thanks
Don

dead_sled
04-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Avoid goldfish or feeders?

The feeders are more likely to have disease or be in poor health. They only need to live a short time before they are eaten. :mrgreen: Some have had good results with feeders, but it is riskier to bring them into your system. Good, healthy goldfish are fine, though.

keith_r
04-10-2013, 05:50 AM
i started my system with minnows and crayfish..
then i added small bluegill.. then small yellow perch,, when the perch and bg got big enough, the minnows were eaten.. i had no issues with diseases or parasites - i give every new fish going into my system a "salt bath" - a short dip in 35ppt salt water and into one of the tanks..i had 6 fish dissected last year (by a gentleman writing a fish book) and he found no evidencs of parasites..
good luck