PDA

View Full Version : Water Quality

rangebob
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
I've been cycling my water for about 3 weeks now. The water last week was starting to get an orange tinge (Alge like). The leaves on the pepper plants were starting to go slightly yellow so I was told to use the MaxiCrop Liquid Seaweed with Iron in it. I put well under the amount that it was recommending but the water is now a brown/green color. Is that normal due to the seaweed? I did test the water over the weekend and it was all OK but the Ammonia was slightly high .5 to 1 ppm. I need to add some more goldfish into there I think I'm down to a dozen in the pool ~300 gallons only 3/4 full.

keith_r
03-11-2013, 06:10 PM
maxicrop will stain your water for a few days, no worries..
the cycling process will take about 6 weeks...

rangebob
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Is the alge normal. What would take care of that or is that something that has to be overlooked?

keith_r
03-11-2013, 06:12 PM
cover your tank, and add aeration,, most systems will go through an algae bloom..

rangebob
03-11-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm dropping the water from 6-12" from the return and also have a return from the pump to cut the flow to the grow beds. I would think that would be enough air flow. When covering should I use some shade cloth or do I need darker or just some simple window screening.

keith_r
03-12-2013, 05:11 AM
shadecloth should be ok,,, i used a tarp.. the algae does consume o2 in the water, that's why i suggested adding air.. but that's up to you

if anything get a small air pump that has batteries in case you loose power

Aloha Don
03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I have been told that you can never have enough air in the system...Air pumps and tubing are cheap....couldnt hurt to add.
Keep us updated...
Thanks,
Don

JCO
08-06-2013, 09:38 AM
So, how did your system turn out? Photos please :mrgreen: