PDA

View Full Version : I got a small system going

aquaarche
08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I put together a small Barrelponic system after downloading a manual from Travis Hughey. It is a great introductory system for those who want to get acquainted first with Aquaponics before sinking a bunch of money into a large system.

I posted two videos already on Youtube which you can see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hzj1qm1m5Y.

It is entering into the forth week and should be stable by the fifth week.

I have encounter some problems and thought maybe you could help.

One we do not have the luxury of a complete nursery here in Palawan Philippines. there is no where to buy Chealated Iron or other supplements to the system. However someone did suggest to place small amounts of rusty nails and tin cans int he flush tank to carry iron sulfates into the growing bed. The other problem is the lack of Potassium. does anyone know a natural way to replace the potassium in the plants without killing the fish?

badflash
08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I just thought of something else. If you are raising tilapia, they will eat just about any sort of veggie if cut up a little so they can bite it. If you have access to trimmings and left overs of green leafy veggies they will eat it and provide potassium to the water for the plants. Even duckweed taken from local ponds will provide a lot of potassium. You can't get something for nothing, so don't try growing it in your own tanks.

aquaarche
08-22-2009, 05:51 PM
I have not put any Tilapia in this system because the tank is actually to small to put Tilapia in for fattening.

I will try the seaweed tea for now and when I set upt eh larger system and get the Paku (vegetarian Piranha) or Tilapia I will feed them some greens.

thanks for the ideas

wolfracer
08-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Good luck and that is a nice looking family! I love the phillipines spent 2 westpacs there! Of course that was under Marcos and martial law, but is still a great country and and awesome tropical paradise.

jackalope
08-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Can't you order Chelated Iron on the Internet? It seems that there should be some hydroponics stores there that might ship it to you.

The Duckweed is a great idea, I've got two large containers outside that are half-filled with water, and the duckweed is almost covering the top already. I'll harvest about 3/4ths of it ans start over when it covers the top completely. I'm working on building a dryer for it, and then I'll grind it up for fish food - it's high in protein ..... I'm still trying to locate Wolffia .... no luck so far :(

aquaarche
08-24-2009, 09:06 AM
thanks wolfracer yeah here in Palawan it is really nice.

Jackolope, I don't have any credit cards. that is the bad thing about not having any you cant buy on the net. taxes for that sort of thing is high. so far i ahve found no one who carried it here or in Manila

badflash
08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I think I've got wolffia in a pond a block from me. I'll check. Nasty stuff. It is so tiny it gets in and clogs up everything.

jackalope
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I think I've got wolffia in a pond a block from me. I'll check. Nasty stuff. It is so tiny it gets in and clogs up everything.

Wolffia is also known as watermeal. in Asia, they dry it, grind it up, and use it for flour .... i saw a cupcake made from it .... it was said to be right tasty! It's high in protein, that's why I want to get some.

badflash
08-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Most duckweed, including what I sent you, is 40% protein. Wolffia is not worth the trouble.

jackalope
08-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Most duckweed, including what I sent you, is 40% protein. Wolffia is not worth the trouble.

I'll find some yet .... I'm gonna grow duckweed and wolffia both ;) I didn't get much done today, the goats got out and we had to round them up and rebuild the fence ........

aquarche I checked all over town today for Chelated Iron, no one carries it here :( :(

badflash
08-26-2009, 08:16 AM
You can't grow them together. The bigger duckweed shades out the smaller. Been there, done that.

jackalope
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
You can't grow them together. The bigger duckweed shades out the smaller. Been there, done that. In separate containers ...... I wouldn't mix them, as I want to measure the amounts, and I also want to try out the watermeal as a flour ;)