PDA

View Full Version : Water Feature?

Obelixix
02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
HI Guys,
I am new to the forums here and to aquaponics, but have spend the past few weeks studying up (and trying to convince the wife it is worth a go!!) I live in the Perth metro area (West Australia) Not too cold in winter - maybe the occasional frost, but nothing serious but up to 42 degrees in summer (105F or so)

Personally i love the idea, my young kids would love the fish and my strawberry and cherry tomato bushes never make it to harvest without being, well, thoroughly foraged before they are ready, and they take too darn long to mature.

My plan is to convert my current vegie patch ( a stone retaining wall around (internals: 120mmx400mmx40mm - depth can be whatever i did it down to though- 2000l?) that i am planning to dig up and line to make my fish tank, and build the grow beds elevated above this, probably out of 2 x halved or 2 x 1/3 IBC. Leaning towards a bell siphon flood/drain but it will be cold water probably using perch or similar here in West Australia. The logistics and piping/pump/need for a sump/mineral addtives/general noobie stuff i have yet to figure out. Will finalise research in good time

The wife wants it to "look good" so will probably clad the upper and hide the piping where possible. Since i need to make it appealing to her to, i was wondering if anyone had come across a system that included a water feature of sorts?

How is the water clarity, does it stay relatively clear or more like a typical fish pond green? Would the light exposure lead to algae growth on the feature? cascade maybe used for aeration? Maybe constant flow is the only option if i was to have a water feature?

Anyway thats a bit of a ramble, but i haven't seen anything like what i am thinking.

Here is a pic of the system i as thinking without any water feature. Figuring there is a very good reason why i can find a system with a feature like this ( in addition to the obvious financial inefficiencies of having a mostly useless part to the system!)
http://i48.tinypic.com/1zx5kk4.png

Anyway thank in advance for any advice you can give.
Cheers
Obe

JCO
02-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Looks and sounds good to me... definitely worth a shot at Aquaponics. Keep us informed with photos...we love photos. A picture is worth..UH....Oh well I forget, but it's a high number :mrgreen:

Obelixix
02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Cheers JCO will do.

I guess my main concern is that i will put in a water feature and it will just end up a slime covered eyesore!!!

Should be OK as long as i keep the oxygenation up???

JCO
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Plenty of water circulation throughout the tank will take care of your problems there especially slime on the surface. :mrgreen: