PDA

View Full Version : uh oh, greenhouse time

swamp creek farms
02-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Here we go.. getting into the big boy stages around my farm. Got a lil extra cash on hand and buying a greenhouse 100X30. I have my tanks in the ground already, one tank is about 6000 gallons, and the other is IBC. no idea what im gonna use the ibc for, originally it was going to be the fish tank, but then i found this huge container for free, little bit of fiberglass work and its good to go. Guess the IBC will become a sump or a biofilter.

Any of yall have any suggestions on what i might be getting into? What to look out for when building this thing ? I don't like doing things twice usually. Any hints would be helpful.

15mules
07-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Have you built this greenhouse already?? How did it work out for you?? If you have not built it yet, then I would have some suggestions for you if you are still interested?? look up Chinese style greenhouses, before you build as an alternative to a normal green house, much more energy efficient.
- Orient end walls east west, not north south
- insulate north side and both end walls
- make sure and include large vents in the top.
- make sure and put in vents along the bottom on north and south side
- do not rely on large propane heaters and large fans for temp. regulation or the cost of operation will eat your profit up
- build as energy efficient as possible as electrical cost will only continue to rise.
- Consider ETFE film as the covering if your structure will support the tension, for a long term covering with much better light transmission than anything else on the market.