PDA

View Full Version : New to Tilapia -- Legal Issues

Personoponics
02-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm new to aquaponics and everything, but I just read on a website about needing a permit to have tilapia :shock: Is this just for commercial aspects? Do I need to have a permit just to have tilapia in the basement? I'm in Illinois, but I'm wondering what all is the legality of having non-native fish in a tank here. I'm pretty sure that everything is pretty much fine, but I just want to check with all of you on what you know about aquaculture and fish regulations. What have you run into?

davidstcldfl
02-04-2013, 10:03 AM
We have a thread listing the regs for each state...
State Tilapia Regulations (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?636-State-Tilapia-Regulations)

Best to check to see if any thing has changed..?

urbanfarmer
02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
We have a thread listing the regs for each state...

State Tilapia Regulations (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?636-State-Tilapia-Regulations)

Best to check to see if any thing has changed..?

+1 Urban Farmer

Personoponics
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the link!

And that's only if I want to sell them, right? To keep them just as a hobby, it's okay? Or is it that I need the permit to even have them in my possession?

davidstcldfl
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Good questions....But I don't know...?
Every state is different...and the states change their minds... :roll:

FL is odd, we can have blue tilapia in re-circ systems in most of FL. But in the NW Panhandel, they need a permit.
The nw panhandel is probably the coldest part of the state and least likey to survive there..... :roll:

Ca...Ok in S ca, not so in N Ca....again, tilapia most likely can't survive in N Ca because of the cold.... :roll:

Best to check with your state.

Personoponics
02-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks :P I searched for myself now and found out as much as I could. Double checking with the DNR too :) It's a shame it requires a permit. I guess they don't want invasive species, so it's good that way. At least I can start getting through all the hoops and ladders now!

Oliver
02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Ca...Ok in S ca, not so in N Ca....again, tilapia most likely can't survive in N Ca because of the cold.... :roll:

I get calls often from people who read this kind of misinformation and take my time to try and calm them down and convince them that it is not true.

Mossies and Hornorum are legal throughout all of California. Blues and Niles are illegal throughout all of California. Red Bellies are legal in 5 counties in southern California.

You are supposed to obtain a permit to bring into the state any tilapia but most ignore that requirement. Tilapai are require to be inspected for disease before being allowed into the state.

Oliver

davidstcldfl
02-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Oliver.... :oops:

davidstcldfl
02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
I did a quick search for info in regards to tilapia in CA.
It sure is hard to find anything.. :cry:

When I did a search....I did see DIY was towards the top
of the 1st search page.. :)
Problem is...Our link on the State Tilapia Regulations page seems to be out of date....doesn't go anywhere... :?
What little I did find elsewhere, says what I mis-stated... :?

Oliver, if you get a chance, would you please do an update to our info...?

Personoponics
02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
If only it was a bit easier to get fish already... I don't want to wait another 8 weeks to have the place I want to hold them inspected >_< If I wasn't right under the nose of the university, I'd consider just buying them outright now. Mehhhhh

TMorgan
02-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Make an anonymous call and question the state wildlife or fisheries office. Our state guys in NC were very nice and helpful, they are strict about the type of Tilapia you can keep, meaning manly Nile because they can't handle the temps. But my Tilapia permit is suppose to be here this week, took about 3-4 weeks if it shows up on time. Good Luck!

bcotton
02-06-2013, 06:34 AM
If only it was a bit easier to get fish already... I don't want to wait another 8 weeks to have the place I want to hold them inspected >_< If I wasn't right under the nose of the university, I'd consider just buying them outright now. Mehhhhh

Have you considered starting the system with minnows? They will start adding ammonia to the system and start the cycling process. You could have a fairly well established sysetem by the time you add tilapia and then the minnows will get eaten.

brian

bsfman
02-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Have you considered starting the system with minnows? They will start adding ammonia to the system and start the cycling process. You could have a fairly well established sysetem by the time you add tilapia and then the minnows will get eaten.

brian

The minnows will indeed start the ammonia cycling, but don't count on the tilapia eating them! I had a half dozen or so gambusia living in a fish tank with 150 large tilapia for over a year. They prospered and never once did a tilapia show any interest in eating them. Tilapia seem not to be highly piscivorous fish! :)

bcotton
02-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Meh, i've built four systems and 3 of them i started with minnows. The tilapia eventually eat the minnows. Sometimes they need to grow some first... They tend to try to taste anything that will fit into their mouths.

Maybe they just didnt like the taste gambusia ?

brian

davidstcldfl
02-07-2013, 07:38 AM
I think the larger the tilapia, the less likely it'll eat a smaller fish. Of course, that's in an AP system where they are being fed a good quality feed, and enough of it.

We have gambusias and wild Fl mollies at Sahib's. The adult gambusia are probably about 2-3 times larger then the adult mollies.
I'm guessing bcotton's minnows are small like our mollies..?

We have a 75 gallon glass tank with a half dozen adult breeders. There are 2 or 3 mollies in there. They've been in ther for the better part of a year. The tilapia don't seem interested in the mollies.
It is funny when I feed them, the mollies are right up there with the tilapia, trying to get something to eat. If a molly gets eaten, it's most likely an accident... the little guy swam right into a tialpia's mouth... :lol: