PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms Maybe?

Personoponics
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I know I'm nowhere near ready to start mushrooms in ground even, but can mushrooms be done hydroponically? Are there any other ways mushrooms could be incorporated into an aquaponic system?

keith_r
01-25-2013, 06:37 AM
you could soak your logs in ft water, maybe put the logs under growbeds after seeding them

urbanfarmer
01-25-2013, 06:44 AM
mushrooms are not plants, they are fungi

Personoponics
01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
I know mushrooms are fungi :P But could be grown in an aqueous solution? Are there any studies of using fungi instead of plants as a filtering mechanism in aquaponics? I want to see if I can have a fungal farm aquaponic system :) Otherwise, I'll just try to see if it is better off for vermiculture and composting. Still, maybe there is a way these can be combined?

urbanfarmer
01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
I know mushrooms are fungi :P But could be grown in an aqueous solution? Are there any studies of using fungi instead of plants as a filtering mechanism in aquaponics? I want to see if I can have a fungal farm aquaponic system :) Otherwise, I'll just try to see if it is better off for vermiculture and composting. Still, maybe there is a way these can be combined?
Well sir, buy some mushroom "seeds" and "plant" them. :lol:

Your only source of viable food for the mushrooms would be the fish poo. You could either use a "vortex filter" and remove the solids and create an area simply to mushroom compost the poo OR figure out a way to use a gravel grow bed to capture enough solids and grow the mushrooms as well. Remember, the mushroom is the fruiting body of the fungi. More precisely, it's a reproductive organ. The vast majority of the organisms is found "inside" the feed material.

Where do you want to start?