PDA

View Full Version : If you eat healthy food, it's a mental disorder

jackalope
08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I can't believe the idiocy coming out of the Psychiatric Community ........

Healthy food obsession sparks rise in new eating disorder
Fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder

The condition, orthorexia nervosa, affects equal numbers of men and women, but sufferers tend to be aged over 30, middle-class and well-educated.

The condition was named by a Californian doctor, Steven Bratman, in 1997, and is described as a "fixation on righteous eating". Until a few years ago, there were so few sufferers that doctors usually included them under the catch-all label of "Ednos" – eating disorders not otherwise recognised. Now, experts say, orthorexics take up such a significant proportion of the Ednos group that they should be treated separately.

"I am definitely seeing significantly more orthorexics than just a few years ago," said Ursula Philpot, chair of the British Dietetic Association's mental health group. "Other eating disorders focus on quantity of food but orthorexics can be overweight or look normal. They are solely concerned with the quality of the food they put in their bodies, refining and restricting their diets according to their personal understanding of which foods are truly 'pure'."

More Here Clik ;) (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/aug/16/orthorexia-mental-health-eating-disorder)

badflash
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
People pay $1.50 for a pint of water in a plastic bottle. All the studies show that this water is mostly just tap water in a plastic bottle. The perception is that this is some sort of pure spring water.

Call things Green, Organic, Biodegradable, Low carbon Footprint, etc. and you can charge more, even if it is worse than what is normally available.

jackalope
08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
People pay $1.50 for a pint of water in a plastic bottle. All the studies show that this water is mostly just tap water in a plastic bottle. The perception is that this is some sort of pure spring water.

Call things Green, Organic, Biodegradable, Low carbon Footprint, etc. and you can charge more, even if it is worse than what is normally available.

Call me orthorexic, but I try very hard to watch what food I eat, and the water I drink too, for that matter. I think these Psychos are stretching it a bit far ......... I think it's a good thing to eat healthy, not eat a complete junk food diet! ;)

badflash
08-19-2009, 08:28 AM
The point I was trying to make is that many people will jump at anything that is marketed as healthy, even if it isn't. They don't check. Bottle water is one of those things. So is the low fat or low carb foods. Low fat stuff they load up with sugar. Low carb stuff is normally loaded with fat.

TerryC.
08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
The point I was trying to make is that many people will jump at anything that is marketed as healthy, even if it isn't. They don't check. Bottle water is one of those things. So is the low fat or low carb foods. Low fat stuff they load up with sugar. Low carb stuff is normally loaded with fat.

Agreed. An example is organics. According to organic food producers, it healthier and taste better. According to many scientific university studies, there is no more nutritional benefits in organic foods, then regular traditional farm foods. Penn & Teller did a BS program on this and it's on YouTube. Search: Penn & Teller Organic Food (Warning, Adult language used)

badflash
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
There are so few rules about how to call something organic that the term is close to meaningless. The lack of pesticides is probably the biggest plus an is the lack of hormones.

mpugh5@aol.com
08-22-2009, 05:19 AM
i have to agree with about all that i have seen posted on this subject, it brought to mine a subject that has been discussed at my favorite tractor forum, there is a tomato blight that is razing havoc on the eastern seaboard that has a lot of farmers plowing under their tomato crops.
the article http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/nyreg ... atoes.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/nyregion/18tomatoes.html) gives all the particulars. the thing that really got my attention was the treatment that is available to the commercial farmers. cancer causing carcigens that i wouldn't want to touch let alone consume.
i'll stick to my righteous way of eating and my over concern. :shock: :? :arrow: :idea:

badflash
08-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Late Blight is a big problem here. I'm one of the few people with nice tomatoes this year. I've been using worm tea and bloodmeal in patio pots. The plant are very open, and this allows the air flow to dry them. It is so rainy here that fungus is killing all sorts of things. Airflow is the easiest solution to fungus.

jackalope
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I've finally harvested a few tomatoes from my AP system, it turns out that they were vome kind of small tomatoe ,,,,,, what a disappointment! Iwas looking all over for a huge beefsteak, and the wife told me that the seeds she gave me were for tiny toms and some pear-shaped tom ..... :( :( I had to dig all the media out of my beds, it turned septic! stunk up the whole house! I've just got the two plants left, the wife swiped all of the smaller ones and put them in buckets .... now they are grown bigger and producing ...... they're doing better than mine are :( :(