PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off minerals?

indigowolf
01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
I have got a large aquarium but it is just covered with thick mineral deposits. What is the best way to get it cleaned up without using something that would poison the fish I will be putting in it? Any suggestions (other than vinegar). I don't think vinegar would work on one this bad, but hey...its free. :D

Indigo

urbanfarmer
01-22-2013, 03:56 PM
clean and rinse with vinegar then water then baking soda on a toothbrush then water, start over again if it's still there and use whichever one works best to remove it (water, vinegar, or baking soda), household ammonia may be used as well in place of the baking soda

davidstcldfl
01-22-2013, 08:17 PM
If it's that dirty, I'd use CLR. Then I'd use vinergar and rinse well.

David - WI
01-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I would try a phosphoric acid shower cleaner... the "retail" stuff is like 6%, the "commercial-grade" stuff from a decent hardware store is around 10%; but you can get "Shower Foam" from Northwoods Products online that is 15% phosphoric acid.

Shower Foam is unparalleled in removing hard water deposits. It makes a great shower cleaner, fantastic tile and grout cleaner, makes fixtures sparkle, and restores stainless steel to like new. Shower Foam deep cleans and eliminates body oils, organic soil, and dissolves calcium and lime deposits right before your eyes. Smells great too.

I bought a case of it sort of by accident and gave some to everyone in the family; they call came back for more.

indigowolf
01-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Thank each of you for the tips! This is a really nice sized aquarium and once cleaned up I think it will do nicely for holding young fry and hey, it was free :lol: