PDA

View Full Version : Very interested in Aquaponics / Hydroponics

TerryC.
08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone. I have been lurking around this forum for a couple of weeks. I am very interested in setting something up however, I am not sure exactly what system (flood drain, riverbed, etc) would best suit my needs. I am not in a big hurry to build a system so I have time to gather more information and decide. I am currently looking for information catered toward energy cost for a small to medium system (55 gal barrels / 500 gal resivior). If anyone has a resource they can share regarding energy needed to run a small / medium system, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Terry

badflash
08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
For a system that size it doesn't take a lot for pumping and aeration, probably about 500 watts for a flood & drain system. Heating of the water, if required, or keeping them warm in the winter is the primary cost. If you can use solar heat and ground storage of the heat, you would only need about 500 wats more. Otherwise it gets expensive.

wolfracer
08-16-2009, 01:58 PM
My design is currently using 42 watts. 35 for the pump and 7 watts for the air pump.

jackalope
08-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Welcome TerryC. we're glad you're here at DIY Aquaponics.

I have no idea how many watts I use, I suppose I really should keep track, but I'm in it for the food, and hopefully, it will lower our grocery bill. :lol: :lol:

TerryC.
08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the information.