PDA

View Full Version : First cycle is a whopper due to some bad test strips!

TMorgan
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Been waiting for my test system to cycle, it was started with ammonia several weeks ago. But I had not been seeing anything since I started it, been using some test strips I had, didn't notice they were pretty old. They would read PH, but no reading on Nitrites or Nitrates, so I kept adding a little ammonia thinking I didn't have enough. Just got by new API test kit today and WOW!

Ammonia 8+ PPM
PH 7.6+
Nitrite 5+ PPM
Nitrate 40-80 PPM

So after some major water change out we have it down to the following:
Ammonia 4 +/- PPM
PH 7.6
Nitrite 5 PPM
Nitrate 5 PPM

So I'm thinking now that I should wait for ammonia & nitrites to 0 out. Try to get the PH down a little more too. And go ahead and add some plants or seedlings till it's safe to add fish.
Comments or suggestions?

keith_r
01-03-2013, 06:21 AM
with ammonia that high, the bacteria you want will be inhibited.. good call on the water change, now just wait for it to cycle..
you don't need to do anything about the ph.. it will drop over time...
go ahead and put some plants/seeds in now..
after the ammonia and nitrites are zero, then add your fish (you may want to dose with ammonia to see how fast the system processes it after the cycling is complete)

TMorgan
01-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks,
I'll start adding seed/sprouts asap and just let it continue to cycle till it zero's. Then I'll add 3-4 drops of ammonia and see how long it takes the system to recover. I'm getting ready to start on my tote, so I may not add any fish until the tote is ready and just cycle it with ammonia drops till then or maybe add minnows till I can get some Tilapia for the tote, then the Tilapia will take care of the minnows.