PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used a donor system for startup?

TMorgan
12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
First of all let me say thanks to all the member input and info on this site, it has been invaluable in getting started. Now the question, I have a small barrel system starting using ammonia to cycle, it has a river gravel bed using a bell siphon to cycle. My plan is once the system is started and operational, to use it as a donor of gravel and water to start tote system when I have the first one in place. Has anyone ever did this? It sounds logical too me but how much mass in gravel/water will I need to start the tote? My barrel setup is probably about 30 gallons of water and about the same in river gravel.

keith_r
12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
seeding a new system up with gravel from an existing system will speed up the cycling process.. i expanded my first system and seeded my second from it,, i've donated media for new systems as well.. it will still take time but not as much.... just perform lots of testing to make sure you're on top of things

TMorgan
12-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Keith,
I didn't figure it would be an instant charge to the new system, but maybe cut start up by half anyway. I just got the temp stabilized in my start up tank so that should help the cultures get going, the building is minimally heated so I'm using a large aquarium heater and I bubble wrapped and loosely covered the tanks to conserve heat.