PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NC

TMorgan
12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Hello from NC, about 35 miles east of Charlotte NC. Trying to get started in Aquaponics this year and have something operational by spring. I have a small barrel system started using ammonia, been running a week or so now, so it's just a waiting game right now. Plan on setting up a small greenhouse with a two tote systems inside ASAP. Got the totes, just jot to put up the greenhouse, will probably be a small hoop house.

keith_r
12-28-2012, 07:48 PM
welcome, and good luck..ask lots of questions, and get lots of different answers! :mrgreen:

bbikebbs
12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Welcome! Remember that we like pictures!!

ddbiiz
12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey T,
I'm in Rock Hill,SC just starting a system myself
Don

davidstcldfl
12-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Hello, welcome to the forum... :)

TMorgan
12-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone,
I'll try to remember the pics, but it's not much to look at right now. It was a 55 gallon pickle barrel I had used for fathead minnows during Crappie fishing and re purposed it as a aquaponics start up tank. I'll probably stock the first tote I setup with Fathead minnows, there about $12 a pound off the fish supply trucks that come around starting in the spring. Fatheads are cheap to start with and I'll try to get some Tilapia later. From what I've read about in NC you have to get a permit to have them legally from NCWRC, if anybody knows more on this subject, let me know. I know they consider them invasive, but it gets way to cold for them to survive around here without shelter. I'll post more later, great to meet everyone.

bsfman
12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone,
I'll try to remember the pics, but it's not much to look at right now. It was a 55 gallon pickle barrel I had used for fathead minnows during Crappie fishing and re purposed it as a aquaponics start up tank. I'll probably stock the first tote I setup with Fathead minnows, there about $12 a pound off the fish supply trucks that come around starting in the spring. Fatheads are cheap to start with and I'll try to get some Tilapia later. From what I've read about in NC you have to get a permit to have them legally from NCWRC, if anybody knows more on this subject, let me know. I know they consider them invasive, but it gets way to cold for them to survive around here without shelter. I'll post more later, great to meet everyone.

Wow! Sounds like fathead minnows are a good choice to raise if you are considering selling your fish! $12/pound for fatheads far exceeds the price per pound you could get for tilapia or catfish! Your plants won't care what type of fish provides them their nutrients. I am not familiar with fatheads, but perhaps they are more cold hardy and easier to raise than tilapia - considering your winter temps up there!

In any case, welcome to the forum! :)

TMorgan
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Actually $12-14 a pound is what you can buy them for, that's around 300-400 1" +/- fathead minnows in bulk form. They are a cheap choice I think for starting an aquaponics system up, not a big loss if you have a problem and lose them. But I wouldn't recommend eating them, although Crappie around here seem to love them. Probably a lot more cold tolerate than Tilapia, but I eventually want to eat the Tilapia. Problem is I have to get a permit in NC to legally posses the Tilapia to raise/breed, it's free thank goodness, just more paperwork.

urbanfarmer
01-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen: