PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Philly

Tanktotable
12-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Hello everyone, I am new at Aquaponics but i have a strong interest in it. I just finished Sylvia Bernstein's Aquaponic Gardening and have started up my own experience at my apartment. I am currently growing butter crunch lettuce and its about 3 inches tall now. I have 8 goldfish in the 5 gallon tank. The lettuce looks great but I cant seem to get the Ammonia to go down, its always at 8.0. Anyone out there know of a good way to get it to go down without killing the fish?

Glad to be on this forum,
-Z

This is a picture of the lettuce in its hydrocorn. Its been 11 days now. Its in about 2 inches of the media.

alex281
12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Welcome!

Watch the feeding as to not go to high on the readings. other that, youll just have to wait until the system cycles. check out my little system, if you ever plan to upgrade to a slightly bigger system while still being able to keep it in an apartment then my design would be perfect!

Nice lettuce btw! more pics would be great!

davidstcldfl
12-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Welcome to the forum... :)

keith_r
12-13-2012, 06:40 AM
yikes! you probably have high ph, which is helping the fish at the moment,, until it drops, don't feed the fish
double check your test kit to make sure you are following the directions, and that the chemicals aren't expired..
i'd salt to 3ppt as well

urbanfarmer
01-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen: