PDA

View Full Version : hello from NWPA

machinemaker
11-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I am in the design and planning stage of building a greenhouse and AP system. I have been scrounging materials and trying to learn as much as possible. Last year I did a little bartering to help a gardencenter remove all the glass from a greenhouse so that they could replace it with plastic panels in exchange for about 3000 lbs of glass panes. I have been bringing home both food grade empty IBC totes and plastic 55 gal. drums free from my employer. I am considering using a large compost pile, 8' in diameter x 6' tall with a few hundred feet of black plastic tube in the interior to heat the water. I am not sure what type of fish I will be able to raise, but we would prefer tilapia if we can keep the water warm enough in the winter. I am planning to use a couple 75 watt solar panels, 6 VDC batteries for storage to run the pumps. I also will build a 4'x8' solar panel for additional heating and possibly a rocket stove for when the compost is cooling down and when cloudy. I keep finding more information, but realize that I have a lot to learn. There is a large AP business about a mile away that raises koi that I want to visit and I saw a couple year old post on another forum of a student at Alegany College which is in the same town as my employer that I would like to see if I can visit. I would gladly except any help and suggested reading that you might have.
kent

davidstcldfl
11-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi Kent, welcome to the forum... :)

I from W PA....too cold there for me.... :lol:

NeverResting
12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Hey Kent. Welcome, sounds like you have a nice supply of materials at your disposal. It's going to take a lot of insulation and heating to keep Tilapia warm but hey that wouldn't stop me if I was up North either, so it shouldn't stop you!

Welcome and I look forward to reading posts of your builds and experiences.

alex281
12-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum!

urbanfarmer
12-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen: