PDA

View Full Version : vent stack question

cspaugh
11-22-2012, 05:27 AM
I have 3 barrels plumbed together with 3/4 pipe. There seems to be a short lag time in equalization between the barrels when things are draining. If i put a vent in my plumbing works would that alow for quicker equalization across the sump barrels? Thanks

davidstcldfl
11-22-2012, 05:53 AM
It would be easier to chime in, if we had a picture. But I think you may be correct with your idea.

cspaugh
11-23-2012, 06:13 AM
The extension skp is not allowed. :shock:
Here is a pic the other barrel is connected the same way, off the branch coming out of pic. All the barrels are vented but the plumbing isint.
should I just install a tee somewhere in the middle and put a larger vent stack in the line? My pump seems to be able to out put faster than the water can equalize in the barrels, running my pump dry waiting for other barrels water to drain into one with pump. Sorry for the longwindedness, and no im not allowing the pump to run dry. 8-)

davidstcldfl
11-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Do the barrels have holes in them some where ? I see the bung hole, has it's plug in place, at least the one I can see in the picture.
If they aren't vented, venting each barrel would help more then venting the pipe.

If that doesn't help 'enough'....the other option is to up size the drain pipes. Not 100 % sure, but I think one of your bung holes may be 2" NPT.
If it is, you can bush down if you want. Not knowing the size of your pump and the head your dealing with, I couldn't even guess what size to run....?
In this case ...'bigger is better'... :)

Good luck....keep us posted.

cspaugh
11-24-2012, 05:17 AM
The barrel you see with the bunk in it, now has the SLO overflowing into that bunghole, as well as a one inch hole cut in beside bung. Pump barrel has hole big enough to put my head in, and the other one has a 3 1/2 inch hole in the top. I think i will put a two inch pipe between the SLO overflow barrel and the pump barrel, the last one on the chain is not taking that much of the water flow so will leave it be for the time. It seems to operate alright but gets just low enough to suck some air every now and again. Thanks for your help. Got plants going in today, pics will be up on my greenhouse post.