PDA

View Full Version : greetings from Ga

cspaugh
11-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Hello all, I have beem lurking for a couple of days and decided to join in on the raindeer games. I have had many tropical fish set ups over the years and am an avid gardener. I have also experimented with hydroponics, using NTF, and aero type systems. I am now in the process of cuttinng up IBC's to install a system in my greenhouse I built a few years back. I am picking up blue talapia today, fingerlings, and will be putting them in my 75 or 125 gallon indoor fishtanks. If the water adds enough overnight heat release to the greenhouse I would like to move them out at some time. If not what are some other fish or craw dads that would be easily kept in these parts? Great site with lots of good reading, thanks for having me.

davidstcldfl
11-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi cspaugh, welcome to the forum... :)

Not sure how cold you get up there...?
In addition to tilapia, growing out some blue gills and channel catfish here. They were eating this morning, when it was too cold for the tilapia to be interested in eating.
The blues and cats grow pretty fast, with more meat at harvest. Tilapia have a large rib cage...they look big, you just don't get as much meat as you'd think.

urbanfarmer
11-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

cspaugh
11-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Coldest temp in the greenhouse last year was 38 degrees, it was in the high teens that night. There willl be much more thermal mass in there with water. Usually doesent get into the teens and rarely into the mid twentys, normal would be 28-35 overnight lows outside. Those days are usually spaced apart also. I will start posting some pics when I arrange thimgs the way I think will work best in my space and have plans a little more finalized. Thanks for the responces.

alex281
11-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!!