PDA

View Full Version : Anyone grown chia?

Sequoia
10-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I've gotten on a bit of a health kick lately. Started working out, eating better, etc. Eating chia seeds (of the Salba variety) is a bit of a fad here in the US. They have a high concentration of omega-3 oils and are high in protein. They are used in shakes and eaten raw... I was thinking of maybe growing my own. I have a river gravel grow bed under fluorescent lights. I figure the light is enough, since I've grown more intensive plants like peppers. But has anyone tried growing chia in an AP environment? Not sure if they'll do well if I seed into the bed, since the seeds get a gelatinous coating when wet... anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has tried?

stucco
10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
i grew an Obama chia head four years ago and threw some of the seeds in a bed. they did not spout. i also tried wheat grass and it didn't work out all that well either but it could have been old seeds too.

bcotton
10-18-2012, 12:49 PM
never done chia but based on other plants in the family i would expect chia to do well in aquaponics. Did try wheat grass and it went nuts. Did very good.

brian

JCO
10-19-2012, 05:50 AM
"STUCCO....AN OBAMA HEAD..?"....REALLY..? :shock: :o AND YOU'RE SURPRISED THE SEEDS FROM HIS HEAD DIDN'T PRODUCE ANYTHING... :? WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED....! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

dead_sled
10-19-2012, 09:04 AM
I have grown chia in soil. It has a very long growing season (at least the variety that I had). My crop did not mature before the first frost. When I get the greenhouse and AP running I will probably try it again. With the AP and the extended growing season of the greenhouse, I should be able to harvest some seeds.