PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for Halloween

bsfman
09-30-2012, 06:21 AM
He obviously didn't grow this pumpkin aquaponically, but it's still quite an achievement!

http://articles.boston.com/2012-09-29/metro/34149193_1_pumpkin-world-pumpkin-growers-topsfield-fair

urbanfarmer
09-30-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm trying this next season. The seed pack says you should get a few hundred pound pumpkin even if you are the worst gardener known to man. I expect a big one! ;-)

bsfman
09-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I'm trying this next season. The seed pack says you should get a few hundred pound pumpkin even if you are the worst gardener known to man. I expect a big one! ;-)

What cultivar is those seeds Urban?

urbanfarmer
09-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Oh, you ask questions that are difficult to answers I'd have to dig through my seed hording piles, which I truly was hoping to avoid until next season. I remember the words "giant pumpkin" on some and I believe one said it was a particular winner from some competition in 2010 or 2011... If I come across a pack I'll let ya know, but I can't remember offhand :-(

They also sell them at my Lowes/HD when in season. Not sure what cultivar though :-(

bsfman
09-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Oh, you ask questions that are difficult to answers I'd have to dig through my seed hording piles, which I truly was hoping to avoid until next season. I remember the words "giant pumpkin" on some and I believe one said it was a particular winner from some competition in 2010 or 2011... If I come across a pack I'll let ya know, but I can't remember offhand :-(

They also sell them at my Lowes/HD when in season. Not sure what cultivar though :-(

According to this website, http://www.backyardgardener.com/wcgp/tips/10steps/10steps.html, Howard Dill's patented "Atlantic Giant" is the one all the competitive pumpkin growers use.

davidstcldfl
09-30-2012, 10:24 AM
He obviously didn't grow this pumpkin aquaponically, but it's still quite an achievement!

Maybe they need a new catagory for aquaponics.... 8-)