PDA

View Full Version : Water Treatments / Additives...

Wartooth
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
What are all the different water treatments and additives that are safe to use in aquaponics? Examples: clarifiers, fish meds, plant nutrients, etc.

badflash
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Check this thread:
removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C? (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?118-removing-chlorine-from-tap-water-with-Vitamin-C)

Don't add anything to the water if you can help it. Set up a hospital tank for sick fish so they can be isolated. I find sea salt is a miracle drug for fish, but kills plants, so avoid it in your system.

jackalope
07-10-2009, 07:55 PM
What are all the different water treatments and additives that are safe to use in aquaponics? Examples: clarifiers, fish meds, plant nutrients, etc.

I used sea salt for sick Goldies ..... killed half my plants ...... I have used an organic fertilizer to perk up my plants (made from sugar beets) .... didn't harm the Guppies at all, helped the plants a bunch ...... as far as fish meds, if you're trying to grow organic, just imagine - all those drugs and chemicals that go into the fish are also going into your veggies ..... not a pretty thought in my mind ....... just my 2 centavos

The name of the organic fertilizer that I used ...... Miracle Gro Organic Choice (8-0-0 ..... 8% total Nitrogen) Derived from fermented sugar beet molasses. I don't know if they were organic sugar beets, I'm just taking their word for it :lol: I bought it over the counter at Ace Hardware ;)