PDA

View Full Version : How much PEE is too much?

Jeff
04-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Great news! I finally have my system up and running! (That simply means I turned the pump on and the cycling works). Still no fish or plants because I will wait until the system is completely cycled.

I am going to do fishless cycling and use the "pee method." However, how would you recommend going about doing this from your own experiences. My plan (without really researching anything) is to pee in the water on one day, perhaps wait a day, then take another pee, wait a day, and then test the water for the ammonia and nitrites. If no ammonia shows, or if it's smaller than 4ppt, keep taking one pee per day until it's there.

Is that too much pee? I understand that it may depend on other factors, such as size of the man, size of the system, size of the pee (?), hehehe.

Know this: I will be peeing in a 110 gallon tank, just to give you a sense of scale as to how much water is in there.

keith_r
04-02-2012, 08:35 AM
i did that.. here's what i learned..
if possible used "aged" pee - store in a container with a lid for at least a week..
peeing directly into the tank, it will take at least a few days before you see an amonia reading.. in my 110 gallon tank, with "fresh" stuff, it took at least 4 days for an ammonia reading.. i accidently drained my ft, and topped up with fresh water, using aged pee, i saw an ammonia reading right away.. you don't want the amonia to get to high, because that will inhibit the cycling process
or use "feeder" fish, like minnows or goldfish, and feed lightly..

Jeff
04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Well I am actually not in any kind of hurry. In fact, I don't expect to plant anything or put fish in until May. So peeing fresh from the source, if you will, doesn't bother me too much. I'm mainly curious if one pee per day for x-amount of days is too much or not, where X can be 3, 4, etc.

commander
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I would think that as long as you dont have fish or plants in the system, the amount is to terribly important.

keith_r
04-02-2012, 11:27 AM
you don't want to add too much,, as this will inhibit the cycling process,, if you can get the ammonia up to 3 or 4 that should be plenty.. just add more when it drops

urbanfarmer
04-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Just pee in it! You will feel better when you do! :lol:

Jeff
04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Just pee in it! You will feel better when you do! :lol:

You're right. That DID feel good! :P

foodchain
04-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Probably should do it over a period of time, so that the amonia you are adding simulates that of the fish. After all the fish would just be peeing in it.
IF you don't, sooner or later the bacteria will run out of "food" and then no more bacteria I would think. Everything is energy in and energy out right?

Jeff
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Well I was peeing in it a couple times a day for a few days in a row. I then let it rest a couple of days, and now my ammonia level is off the charts! Here's a graphic I posted in one of my other threads showing the reading:

[attachment=0:2hbwap6t]photo.JPG[/attachment:2hbwap6t]

As you can see, the ammonia is high but still no nitrite reading, so I assume I just need to wait it out. Hopefully I will see the nitrites go UP as the ammonia goes down.

Bioritize
04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Sup bro,

That looks like plenty of PEE. It took two months for my system to cycle, roughly 700 gallons. This was during the winter and I also do not think we had enough DO(Dissolved Oxygen) to get the little guys busy. Now all you can do is sit back and relax. I would test every week or so until you see nitrites. Then another waiting game.

Good luck and may the bacteria be with you.

Jeff
04-09-2012, 04:55 PM
LOL Thanks Brioritize! My system is much smaller at only 110 gallons, so I don't anticipate it taking as long as yours did. Now I just need to think about getting the PH levels down, since it looks like their around 8.2 or so. I read elsewhere that lemon juice would work, so perhaps I will try that.

bsfman
04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
LOL Thanks Brioritize! My system is much smaller at only 110 gallons, so I don't anticipate it taking as long as yours did. Now I just need to think about getting the PH levels down, since it looks like their around 8.2 or so. I read elsewhere that lemon juice would work, so perhaps I will try that.

Actually, the pH is idea for populating nitrifying bacteria in your system. I would leave it alone. It will come down slowly once you get fish in the system. No need to mess with it now.

keith_r
04-10-2012, 06:39 AM
+1 bsfman...
after the ammonia starts to come down and the nitrites start to go up, you're system will be ramping up the production of the first phase of beneficial bacteria...the second round of bacteria (that convert nitrites to nitrates) takes a little longer, you don't need to dose with am for a little bit, i'd suggest starting to age some wee while you're waiting
patience is all that is needed now..