PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Plastic Barrels

jackalope
07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
badflash, I know that a couple of times you have recommended that a person can get plastic barrels from a car wash ...... we have been looking for something to haul our drinking water in. My question is, since we want these for drinking water ...... how would you get the soapy taste out of them? Wont that taste stay with the plastic forever?

How do you clean them for fish, aren't the residual soap films toxic to the fish?

badflash
07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
This is just soap and non-toxic. Rinse well with water as it has its own soap! The stuff is EPA certified to go down storm drains. Just rinse until you goet the smell out. it doesn't take much.

jackalope
07-09-2009, 05:52 PM
This is just soap and non-toxic. Rinse well with water as it has its own soap! The stuff is EPA certified to go down storm drains. Just rinse until you goet the smell out. it doesn't take much.

THX ..... I got a couple today that a friend has had for a couple of years, that were cleaned ...... no smell at all ;) 8-)

grimsteph
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
My husband and I have several of the blue drums from a local car wash. We've used them for years for rainwater collection, and of course just recently as fish tanks and grow beds for aquaponics. Our first system was built using Travis Hughey's Barrelponics Guide. It was a great system to start out with, but we quickly got the urge to expand.

keith_r
01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
a diluted vinegar rinse will neutralize the soaps.. then do a diluted bleach rinse..

badflash
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a bunch that came with wax in them. I used a power washer on these after I cut them in half. If they were in one piece it would't be so easy. Right now I'm using these to store Waste Veggie Oil.

jackalope
01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Badflash, since I asked that question, I followed your instructions and they have worked great! Thanks! I cut a hole in the top so as to attach a 4" donniker adapter where the 4" PVC filler pipe goes. I made a manifole out of 4" PVC so I can fill two barrels at once.
Right now, during the Winter, I'm not using them, because the pickup broke down, but all I did was wash them out two or three times, dump the water out and they were fine. we can't get them for free here, I have to run to Billings (220 mi. round trip) and pay $15.00 each for 30 gallon white ones. The Ace Hardware in Lewistown, (65 mi. round trip) has the 50 gal. blue ones for $40.00 each, so its a tossup as to which way I want to go for barrels :( :( The only IBCs I can find around here have been used for poisonous sprays for weed eradication, so that's out for sure! I'd like to find a couple of them for water and/or fish.

badflash
01-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Check with local farmers. I know they ship ammonia and other fertilizers in them. That stuff washes out. I can get them up in Syracuse for $50 each for the 220 gallon totes, but I can only get 2 in the truck. That is a lot of miles for a couple of totes. If I was going there anyway, I'd get them.

jackalope
01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Check with local farmers. I know they ship ammonia and other fertilizers in them. That stuff washes out. I can get them up in Syracuse for $50 each for the 220 gallon totes, but I can only get 2 in the truck. That is a lot of miles for a couple of totes. If I was going there anyway, I'd get them.

So the ferts and ammonia would be water soluble ..... it's just the weed killers that I need to be worried about. I never gave the ammonia that much thought - I use it all the time when I'm doing window washing, but I will do some re-checking as soon as the truck is running again ;) Thanks for the ideas!

JCO
05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
So, you never did say, how did the barrels turn out :?: :mrgreen: