PDA

View Full Version : Breeding

Eleven11
03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm currently looking at info on how to breed the tilapia.

Just curious how others on the form go about it. Some questions that come to mind are... how to spot the breeding couple so you can remove them to their own tank. Also, how big of a tank do they need? etc...

foodchain
04-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Breeding depends on species of fish. But the Tilapia exhibit similar cichlid behaviors. Really basic. Clean water, warmth, and good quality food. And presto...babies.

Eleven11
04-03-2012, 10:38 AM
So.... No need to remove the mating pair?

urbanfarmer
04-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Nope.

foodchain
04-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Why? Two ways you make babies. With momma, and without.
Easiest and typically most reliable for beginners is with, let her carry them and "spit" fry. Common practise for most mouth brooders.
The other, is stripping them. And dropping eggs into an egg tumbler. This is usefull for pushing production, and getting parents back into breeding shape. This takes more skill, and if you goof, you may risk losing all fry.
Very difficult to keep them from breeding though, they are more prolific than bunnies.

sdanchenko
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
How long it takes for Tilapia to start breeding? Let say, I got Tilapia fingerlings (<1inch) at the end of January.

Do adults eat fingerlings if they are in the same fish tank?

Do I need to put some short pipes in the fish tank for Tilapia moms?

Eleven11
04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Well that simplifies things a lot. I like 'easy' so I'll go with option 'A'.

Do you remove your fry from the main tank?

foodchain
04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Tilapia "want" to breed. How fast they grow depends on how well you take care of them. In TX mine reach 12-14 inches in one summer, now our summers are longer than most....so it's probably...Lets see now.
Mar they go in the ponds and depending on weather they come out about Sept/Oct.....

Now during that time they breed like bunnies...literally huge masses of orange fry at surface of water.

Let the fish do their thing, you give them space so as not to crowd, feed well, and keep temp up. Keep your water clean and your DO high.....if the water turns green from algae suspended in it...don't sweat it. They have gill scrubbers and this supplements diet too.
Let them do what they do....and you will have babies.

DO NOT RUSH only thing that happens fast is death.
Good luck.

foodchain
04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Seriously. IF you can breed mosquitos in your backyard, you have the skill set needed to grow tilapia. Just put them together, and provide good care like any aquarium fish and watch.

Only way you go wrong is letting them get cold.

Eleven11
04-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Cool, thanx for the tips. I keep the water in good shape so it looks like all I need is higher water temps. For now I keep it regulated between 69F and 74F.

I have read that 85F is good. What temp do you keep your water for breeding?

foodchain
04-06-2012, 04:17 AM
I don't think you understand. Mine are outside in ponds. I only bring them in for the winter and there's no breeding during that time I am aware of.
TX hold 110+ degrees for 3 months straight and no rain (air temp, water temp usually runs 7-10 degrees less) I have seen them though, when mature show interest in breeding as low as 78 degrees.

foodchain
04-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Okay so maybe not really 3 months...but it gets hotter than hell down here.

Eleven11
04-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Holy crap ! Remind me to never move to Texas.

Yeah, I see now. Thanks again.

So how big is your fish tank? Got any pics of your setup?

foodchain
04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
I must be pure short bus, I can't seem to get pics to upload. But I have sent pics via email to several people on here of my tilapia and such. No, not one of the whole set up though.
I am mucking around in it this weekend as I burned out yet another stupid pump. Damn things get expensive when you get into the higher volumes and head pressures.
I will see what I can get you. PM me your email address.

Eleven11
04-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Each site uploads pictures differently... here's how this one works...

1. Don't use the quick reply window. Click the "Post Reply" button
2. Browse for the file name of your picture at the "Filename" box
3. Click on the picture file from the pop up window and hit ok
4. The path should now appear in the "Filename" box below
5. Click "Add the File" and it will disappear from the "Filename" box and appear in the "Attachments" box next to where it says "Place inline"
6. Put the cursor in your message to the next blank line and click on "Place inline"
7. A link will then appear in your message then just hit "Submit" when you're done with your message.
8. Rinse and repeat for more pictures.

Also, you can upload pictures to Imageshack @ http://imageshack.us/

[attachment=0:1jef63lc]3.18.12 Salvia.JPG[/attachment:1jef63lc]

foodchain
04-06-2012, 09:50 AM
And that's why they pay you the big bucks.....give me some time and I will see what I can do.

foodchain
04-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Looking at my last post, that's sounding a bit rude. That's not my intent at all. More of a smartass approach. I will give your instructions a try when I get a chance. Thanks again.

Eleven11
04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
No offense taken really. Ok, I'm standing by.

Personoponics
01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Would it be a good idea to have a nursery for the fry once they hatch? That way they can get a food size more specific to them without competing with the bigger ones? I'd also be terrified of the little ones getting eaten or beaten up o_o

bcotton
01-29-2013, 07:53 AM
yes, tilapia are very cannibalistic. if you leave them in gen pop most i.e. 98 or 99% of them wont make it.

There's threads on this topic. Some of us harvest eggs from the female and hatch them in homemade egg tumblers.. others just supply refuge netting at the surface of their tanks that only the tiny fry can get into.

brian.