PDA

View Full Version : Treated Wood - Not sure!

Jeff
03-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Ok, so I may have made a mistake. I purchased two 10' pieces of Douglas Fir from Home Depot to support my grow beds above the fish tank. However, I have NO IDEA if it's been treated or not. Here is a picture of what the label looks like.

As you can see, it does have the acronym "BTR" and "GRN". Do you know that means it's treated or untreated?

If it's treated, or if you don't know, then do you think wrapping it in bubble wrap would be an adequate solution to prevent it from seeping into the tank? I was thinking of wrapping the wood which is above the tank in the bubble wrap just in case, but if you guys can make any sense out of this label on the wood, and if you have information that it's NOT TREATED, then I could save the time and not wrap the wood to protect the tank.

Basil1
03-25-2012, 01:52 PM
BTR refers to grade of lumber. Step up from standard. GRN refers to moisture content, more than 19%.

JCO
03-25-2012, 03:00 PM
most times treated lumber has a greenish color to it. I wouldn't worry about it but I would try a little OxyClean on my face if I were you...it would surely clear up that acne :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Take the tag back to HD.....have 'em scan it....then you'll know for sure... :)

Jeff
03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Take the tag back to HD.....have 'em scan it....then you'll know for sure... :)

I knew this was an option, but I was trying to avoid heading back there if at all possible. Figured I would see if the description on the tag rang any bells the you guys on here first.

Jeff
03-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I would try a little OxyClean on my face if I were you...it would surely clear up that acne :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

LOL - That's my zombie picture. I am part of a Pipe Smoking community on YouTube, and one of the members made that for me. I thought it was the coolest thing!

keith_r
03-26-2012, 05:49 AM
it's not treated..
if this is for your growbeds, are you lining it, or painting it with a pond paint?

Jeff
03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi Keith - It was simply used to support the grow beds, directly above the fish tank. Here is a picture, and you can see the boards there. My concern was if the wood (if treated) would "leak" something into the tank below:

http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1686&sid=7a73845408b565353243a7f80a397b3a

keith_r
03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
well.. i can't see pic's (usually happens on a work computer) but.. i'd say it should be fine..

foodchain
03-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Doesn't appear to be treated. And I wouldn't worry about treating them with liner or pond paint.
Think about it, how much water are you going to get on the outside of the growbeds?

Unless you are living in an unusually humid environment, don't sweat it.

Jeff
03-27-2012, 08:03 AM
My main concern was from rain water, getting the wood wet, and then dripping down. But I do plan to have some kind of cover over the tank, and eventually the system may be covered in bad weather, so I think I should be safe leaving it as-is.

foodchain
03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
don't need it.
Don't sweat it.