PDA

View Full Version : Can you have metallic screen above bed?

Jeff
03-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Ok, here's the deal. My AP system is conveniently placed underneath a large tree. I did this purposely because it still allows moderate sunlight to pass through, but provides enough shelter against the HOT summers we get, or extra windy fall seasons.

The downside is that this tree litters falling leaves like crazy. I was thinking of putting some kind of transparent screen or netting above so that the leaves don't fall on my grow beds. However, I wanted to know if there was any harm in doing that. My concern would be when it rains, the water will pass through this catch screen.....and if it's metallic, it will then drip into the grow bed and eventually to the tank through the natural draining process. Would this impart anything bad into the system?

Or do you recommend some other kind of material (perhaps from the Home Depot website) that you think I should look at?

Right now, I am thinking of either some cheap roll of screen, or perhaps even chicken wire. Thoughts?

urbanfarmer
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
It should be fine in most cases, but without knowing what material and netting you are looking at, there's no way to say definitively.

Is your grow bed gravel? Why not just let it fall on the gravel? Every so often you can collect it and bury it in the gravel. If you have worms, this is even better, but the worms aren't necessary to benefit from this.

In one of the 3rd world countries I work in we make "fertilizer" out of old leaves. It works very well. This process was showed to us by the local University. They have analysis on the resulting "tea" and it is quite nutrient rich.

Just a thought.

Jeff
03-22-2012, 09:50 AM
I am using Hydroton, and the leaves are about as big as my hand......and plentiful. I fear that they would suffocate my grow beds, or at the very least, make it very ugly. I would constantly have to be picking leaves off it everyday if I don't control the amount that fall on it.

Here is a pic of the leaves that just fell in one (non-windy) day, and their size compared to my hand (I am a 5' 10" guy).

http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1696&sid=1d2e0df7d44fe87b9036a3b78c323b59

keith_r
03-22-2012, 10:08 AM
bird netting would probably work..and it's cheap

Jeff
03-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Oh cool! I never even heard of bird netting before! I will check that out and see!

davidstcldfl
03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Here's a pict of some bird netting I added to a small system at Sahib's Aquaponics. I just used some pvc for a frame and attached the bird netting with some tye wraps. Not only does it keep the leaves out, but it keeps out the veggie eating squirrels too.
The 3-way fittings for the top corners are used to make cages. They were ordered form aquatic-eco systems. You don't have to have them, they just make a nicer looking frame.

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/davidstcldfl/sahibbirdnetting.jpg

Jeff
03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
That's a nice frame. I actually thought I would do something similar but as a greenhouse (with plastic instead of netting). However, that was down the line.

Let me ask you this. Is it a pain in the ass to move every time you want to get your hands on your plants? Or does it lift up on the one side for easy access without taking the whole thing down?

davidstcldfl
03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Let me ask you this. Is it a pain in the ass to move every time you want to get your hands on your plants? Or does it lift up on the one side for easy access without taking the whole thing down?
Yes, there are 2 'doors'. One at the front of the tubs and at the rear. The netting is attached to some metal conduit. ( can be seen near the pvc 45's) I grab the conduit and (attached netting) and just set it on top.

davidstcldfl
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I actually thought I would do something similar but as a greenhouse (with plastic instead of netting). However, that was down the line.

This is sitting under a tree, like yours. I 'may' add some shade cloth 'if' the tree isn't enough. This winter, I can add some green house cover or frost cloth, right over the frame and bird netting.... :D

Jeff
03-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Ok, that's what I thought.......and it's similar to the greenhouse design I thought of. It basically would be a PVC frame, and just plastic anchored on the bottom so that it can be draped over the frame, but still easily accessible.

Heck, I could probably combine both ideas together. The PVC frame with the bird netting is year round......but on cold months or rainy/windy ones, I could drape the anchored plastic over the top of the net and boom! Instant greenhouse to protect against downpours and wind!

foodchain
03-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Why not just use egg crate? This is stiff enough you don't need the PVC, and if you desire to lay plastic over it or corrugated plastic panels for a greenhouse effect you can.

AND no birds get caught in the netting for your neighborhood cats to eat, inevitably tearing up your growbeds while they do it.

Jeff
03-27-2012, 08:13 AM
When you say egg crate, are you talking about those foam mattress pads? If so, how do you propose I position it so that 1) it doesn't block sun light, and 2) how does it stay in place (wires, string frame, etc)?

foodchain
03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
NO no no.

Egg crate. Used with commercial flourescant lighting. It's a white grid type thing made out of plastic. Home Depot sells them for like $8 each. Marine aquarium reef keepers use them in propogation, etc.
Cut with wire cutters or sharp knife and zip tie together.
Non toxic, and if you take your time, doesn't look ghetto.

keith_r
03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
yup, they come in 2x4 or 2x2 sheets

Jeff
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
NO no no.

Egg crate. Used with commercial flourescant lighting. It's a white grid type thing made out of plastic. Home Depot sells them for like $8 each. Marine aquarium reef keepers use them in propogation, etc.
Cut with wire cutters or sharp knife and zip tie together.
Non toxic, and if you take your time, doesn't look ghetto.

Well that would work a lot better than the mattress pad idea! :oops:

I was actually thinking about something like that, but I had no idea they were called egg crates. I think I could perhaps construct a frame from some kind of cord or wire....and then lay these on top of it so that they're suspended high enough above the beds so that they don't interfere with taller plants (like tomatoes).

foodchain
03-28-2012, 03:24 AM
no need to. Assemble a 3 sided box, and set right on top of grow bed and be done with it.
You control how tall it is by which way you turn your sheet. You probably won't need it over 4 ft high. Wire cutters and zip ties and you are done. Whole thing will take you 5 minutes, maybe 10 max. Any more than that and you are over thinking this way too much.