PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from California's Central Valley -- Bakersfield

bashedinfender
03-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Hello all,

Like most newbies I just stumbled haphazardly across AP in the last few weeks. I plan on piecing together a chift pist system using a combination of Rubbermaid stock tanks and IBCs. My current project that takes precedence over the AP system is to replace our Red Eared Slider's (Lemmy) pond with a 300 Gallon Rubbermaid Stock tank/pond. Once Lemmy has her (yes, Lemmy is a male name but my wife has a bad habit of naming pets before discovering their sex..) new home then I am starting on the AP system. I thought about using the turtle tank to supply grow water but it will be in another corner of the yard and one turtle (no plans for more) really doesn't produce too much waste. Anyway it will be Mos Tilapia in a 300 gall Rubbermaid for starters I imagine.

Cheers!

Jeff
03-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Alright, I finally see someone who lives relatively close to me! I'm over in Tracy, and recently started constructing my first aquaponics system. I look forward to seeing how your system comes along.

By the way, I cannot for the life of me find any sources for Tilapia up here. Do you know where I can get any? I haven't gotten to the point of stocking my tank yet, but I prefer to use tilapia, and it appears like the only place I would be able to get them would be from 1) a fellow aquaponics member who has some to give, or 2) order online and spend a boatload in shipping for Next Day Air.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

bashedinfender
03-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi Jeff,

Indeed, tilapia sourcing in CA might be problematic, looks like the only California-"legal" species is the Mossambica. Aquaponics usa in Yucca Valley, ~4 hours away from Bfld has 5 tanks running but I can't tell from their site if they sell from their stock or not. They are listed as an agent for R&S fish ranch who are an online seller. http://www.aquaponicsusa.com/Aquaponics_USA_Live_Tilapia.htm. I am not too excited about FedEx-ing fish, I know it is very common and completely doable, but I would prefer to buy straight from a breeder. I have sent the aquaponics usa an email but haven't gotten a response yet. if it turns out that they will sell from their stock I will likely take a ride down to Yucca Valley and buy straight from them.

I have looked for California AP groups but haven't found any as of yet, surely there is some sort of club out there. Had a look at you setup so far, mine will be similar though I am planning on a sump, 300 gallon fish tank and wood framing in lieu of cinder block, so I guess it will be different as well :D .

Anyway, cheers, and thanks for sending this bloody rain our way :evil:

davidstcldfl
03-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the forum.... :D

urbanfarmer
03-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

germanbull
03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
For a source for Tilapia....
There is a guy that advertises on craigslist in the SF Bay area. He has Tilapia and others. I've exchanged emails with him, but haven't gotten any fish yet. I'm currently experiencing fish loss (feeder fish) and need to get that resolved before I go for the edibles.
Jeff, I'm closer to you than Bakersfield. My system's been running since November and you're welcome to visit if you're ever near San Jose.
Dan

Jeff
03-19-2012, 10:25 AM
For a source for Tilapia....
There is a guy that advertises on craigslist in the SF Bay area. He has Tilapia and others. I've exchanged emails with him, but haven't gotten any fish yet. I'm currently experiencing fish loss (feeder fish) and need to get that resolved before I go for the edibles.
Jeff, I'm closer to you than Bakersfield. My system's been running since November and you're welcome to visit if you're ever near San Jose.
Dan

Dan - Milpitas, that's awesome! I love hearing about people so close by! I tried looking on Craigs List but couldn't find any. I think perhaps it's because my filter is set for the Stockton area. Let me know if you start to purchase any from him because I will probably want to get some as well.

So your system has been up since November but you're still having fish loss? Any idea why that's happening?

I probably will start out with some feeder goldfish too, just to make sure the system can sustain them. Of course, I'm probably at least 1-2 weeks away from starting my system cycling, and another 2-3 weeks before it will be cycled enough to add plants. I won't add fish until the system is fully cycled.

germanbull
03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Jeff,
I'll let you know before getting some fish.

I started with no fish. I used some pond water and pee to get the system cycle going. Then, after a few weeks, put in some new feeder fish and they were fine. Then after another month, I moved all my old goldfish from the pond into the tank. These 25 fish were between 3 and 8 inches long. And they were fine for a while. I noticed the white spots of ich on a few. Then I tried treating with salt - I don't have a way to heat the water. I'm thinking it was the cold water that stressed them -- I measured 45 degrees during that cold spell we had in late Jan. I lost about 10 of the larger fish and some of the new feeder fish. The water temp is up to about 60 now and none have died in the last 2 weeks. I did a big water change after the salt treatment and lost the high nitrates I had. The grow beds are full of vegetables, so I'm feeding the fish more to generate more waste. I'm working on expanding the grow beds, but to do that I need to also expand the sump tank. Once they are ready, I really could use more fish in the system. At 10 cents a piece, the feeder fish sure are a bargain compared to the $2 for a tilapia.

Dan

Jeff
03-24-2012, 06:40 PM
I am thinking that I too will start with feeder fish. No sense in rushing things. Besides, I saw a clip on YouTube of someone who had a feeder fish, and the sucker got big enough to look like it would EAT a tilapia! So I think I will start with no fish (just pee) until the thing cycles....then add feeder goldfish, and then add other fish if the opportunity presents itself (like someone catching some from the Delta and bringing it to me, or me finding a deal on some fingerlings, etc.)

alex281
03-25-2012, 05:46 PM
hey guys im in downtown LA and im on goldfish and koi. but in case you need tilapia i as well saw some on craigslist!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/2892152527.html <=seems like a good deal!

i cycled with fish. just feed them enough so that they dont die and start with a small amount(it will take a while for 2 goldfish to poison themselves in a 50 gallon tank). it was easier than i thought.

mikenewmanhayes
07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi from mike
getting ready to replace garden with totes
just picked up 16 of them =]
funny there as cheep as drums

keith_r
08-01-2013, 05:17 AM
welcome aboard

JCO
08-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Welcome mike...you should start your own thread now. :mrgreen:

Aloha Don
08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Greetings Mike
Start your own thread and show us what you are doing.
Welcome to the addiction...