PDA

View Full Version : Self sufficient from aquaponics?

jazoo
03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Hello,

I want to apologize in advance if I am breaking forum ettiquet with this post. I am sure much of the information I want is to be found elsewhere, but I am not sure where to look, so I will post my questions here, and hope that there is someone that can answer them or steer me in the right direction.

I am an architecture student an I have a project right now where I want to build a small(ish) house where the inhabitants get all their food from the house itself. Aquaponics seem like a perfect choice for that.

So my question is, if I want say 100 kg of fish per year, how would I need to set up to get that? How many tanks of what size? And how much growing space would be associated to that, ie how much vegetables compared to the amount of fish (I guess I would have to add a hydroponics system as well). In short - how much space would I have to reserve for this?

I am looking at putting fish tanks inside a heated green house, so from what I read Tilapia could be a good choice of fish?

Thank you so much in advance for any information you could give me!!
/Johanna from Sweden

urbanfarmer
03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
It depends on the climate. In some areas, you can't grow during certain parts of the years whereas other areas of the world you can grow all year long.

It would also depend on the fish, what you have planted, etc.